Age does matter

One thing that scares OFW's from returning to the Philippines is being jobless for a long time. However huge your savings is, with an ever-increasing cost of commodities (and seemingly endless reasons to spend your money), your dollar deposit is bound to diminish after some time.

Option number one: open up a business.

The sad part about this is that most OFW's I know are scared of facing the difficulties of being an entrepreneur. I am too. I would rather be sitting idly in my desk and wait for my end-of-the-month salary to arrive. Loser!

Option number two: find another job abroad.

The scariest part of finding another job abroad is age regulations. Open up the newspaper advert page today and you will see that most of the job vacancies indicate the age limit as being 40. Some adverts may be silent about the age, but once you personally show up for interview, you will be politely advised that you are 'over-qualified' when in fact, what they meant was you are 'over-aged'.

While I wanted to scream age discrimination, I am also open to the fact that there are indeed some popular assumptions about employing people over 40, i.e.

That we are unable to grasp new ideas or technology
I am blogging at 40. Doesn't that indicate something? New technology excites me, however, I must admit that it excites me up to the limit that I can grasp it. I retire as soon as a newfound query proves difficult to crack (like the Blogomus cloud label that I tried over the weekend which didn't work in my blog).

That we are not good investment
I told my boss once that I am a low investment, high yield person. It doesn't mean that I come cheap. What I wanted to say is that I can perform two jobs at the same time: I can be a good secretary and a good report writer. I can even do his coffee if he wants.

That we are stale or out of date
Hey, look. Two of my former bosses head-hunted me because they liked my office prowess (or something). It must mean something. I am still not outdated. I'm still in tune with the latest fashion and the latest craze. (Yeah, keep convincing yourself...).

That we are coasting to retirement
This may be true but whoever employs me will get my services for the next 10 years. Promise. I also do not get sick easily.

That we are not interested in training
I am, I am. Especially if it's about blogging or css or web design. I would love to learn them. Even animation. Just buy me a pair of reading glasses and a full supply of vitamin A and calcium supplement (for my bones).

That we are difficult to manage
At 40, I am flexible. I can adapt to changes (emotionally, psychologically). I handle tensions well. I am open to suggestions and I give good advise.

That our salary expectations are high
Yes. Quality personnel, like a good wine, has a price.

Is the prospect for a jobless 40-year old grim? Not exactly. Slim, yes. Grim, no. I've had experiences of finding personnel even at 50 as long as there is an immediate need, the experience meets the requirements, and that the price is right.

I think it's a matter of being in control of our future: further education, more savings, etc.

One Response

  1. RJ says:

    It really made me think why you've come up with this post. Thanks for sharing numerous things about yourself, anyway. May mga natutunan din ako.

    Uhmn, 10 months nalang matatapos na ang visa ko sa Australia. Sana makuha ko ang residency visa bago mag December.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits