And what if I’m a miser who packs his lunches?!

My mother is from Anao, Tarlac. She is an Ilocana. Most Filipinos say that Ilocanos are inherently misers. In Saudi, I am.

I cook my own food and I pack my office lunches. One, because it’s thriftier for me. Two, because I have a high triglycerides and therefore need to watch my diet. Three, I just don’t trust restaurants. Sorry.

Hence, I am always on the look out for the freshest, cheapest buy for my ingredients. And these are my secrets…

I don’t buy my vegetables from supermarkets like most Filipinos in Alkhobar do. There is this place near Subekha frequented by Bangladeshis and Indians. Inside the area is a street-full of vegetable stalls. Their vegetables are not only the freshest and greenest, they’re also the cheapest. Whereas a string of long beans (sitaw) costs SAR 10 in Thai stores, I get it at Subekha for only SAR 4 per half kilo.

I don’t do marketing on Thursdays and Fridays, especially for seafood, because it is rumored that fish vendors jack up their rates a Riyal more during weekends. (Some of my friends say that jewelries and gold are also higher-priced during weekends). I don’t really know if it’s true.

I purchase my ingredients ahead of time because if I’m in a hurry, I tend to ignore the price tags.

I have an officemate who is always on the look out for sales at Tamimi, Farm 9, Carrefour and Panda. If he can, he gets brochures from each of these stores and we compare their prices especially for meat products and seafood.

Consumables that are near to their expiry dates are cheaper and so I go for it. If items are on buy-one-take-one, I look for someone to share the tab with.

I don’t fry. I either boil the fish with ginger, tomatoes, onions, onion leeks and tamarind or I grill it. I stew chicken and I put a lot of vegetables in it (and sometimes fruits, too). I don’t stew beef because it’s costlier. I boil it with potatoes, cabbage and pechay (English call it bok choy).

I may appear funny to some people but frankly, I’m proud of what I am doing.

I budget my money and I calculate my expenses. I haven’t withdrawn money from my ATM since last week. I just checked my wallet now and it contains fifty Saudi Riyals. I think I’ll make it until Friday -- pack lunches and weekend feasts included.

You see, I’m trying to dig the well before I get thirsty. Or maybe I'm just getting older. Or both.

2 Responses

  1. RJ says:

    That's good! Galing niyong mag-budget. Ako medyo magastos lalo na during marketing.

    Narinig ko sa morning TV show ng Australia na mas mura ang mga bilihin sa supermarket and groceries kapag Tuesdays, sinubukan ko, TAMA nga. Malamang tama 'yong nakuha niyong info about weekend buying.

    Sana may picture ng Subekha Market dito. Ihabol niyo po, Kuya Nebz.

    Tungkol sa packed lunch, wala akong choice kundi magbaon, bukod sa nasa bukid ang workplace ko, di ko gustong kumain ng local food na nabibili sa town (5kms away), Filipino-tongue pa rin talaga ako.

  2. Savvy says:

    Packing lunch is the way to go! I don't quite get why Filipinos are generally against packing lunch. (From what I've noticed when I lived in Phil. and KSA anyway)

    Or maybe sabaw is just not tupperware friendly.

    It's my first time on your blog. I love it! I should have checked it out a long time ago.

    Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits