My Fridays in Saudi Arabia‏

At home, I do cook our Friday lunch which is a choice of only four viands (due to my limited knowledge of cooking): either beef sinigang, boiled beef, beans (black eyed, green, or white) or vegetables in coconut milk.

After lunch, I lulled myself to sleep by playing whatever Yahoo games interest me.

If I don't fall asleep, I'd watch whatever reruns are on Dubai One. Or perhaps watch a classic movie over MBC 2.

In the afternoon, if there's nothing else to do, I go outside the house to walk. My route plan is very, very limited and always the same. Along Khalid Street, left turn towards Dhahran/Khobar Highway, another left towards Al Fakhry Hospital and back to where I began. Normally, it only takes half an hour to forty-five minutes. I should be sweating a bit by then.

When I reach home, I watch whatever is on BBC Prime (either a garden challenge or an antique auction show). There used to be a cooking show by Rick Steins but have not seen it for quite some time. There was a time in my life that my Friday was memorable because of Rick Stein's show.

It has also become a habit to skip dinner during Fridays. So I just take whatever is left on the fridge: a fruit or whatever juice is there.

Later in the evening, I will be watching whatever program is on television. Dubai One is currently showing a delayed version of American Idol where David Cook won (I'm an Archuleta fan!) while MBC4 is showing the selection of James Bond movies (starting from Roger Moore to Sean Connery to Timothy Dalton to Pierce Brosnan).

By 11pm, if no movie fancies me, I should be retiring to bed. Most of the time however I am awake until almost 12 midnight. The next morning I should be cursing silently and blaming myself why I didn't sleep early the previous night.

You may say that I lead a very boring life. I think I do. That's why I'm taking advantage of my spare time to update myself of whatever is latest on tv. Duh. My Friday is not a total waste. Sometimes I get to write a blog on Friday. Duh again.

Recently, I accepted a part time job where I assist a student with his masteral assignments. The money is not much but I get to read lots of books and get to do some research.

I know a friend who constantly play bowling on Fridays. I also know someone who plays tennis on Fridays.

Since I neither fancy both sports, I just stay in my nook.

I also know someone who visits the hospitals or the jail cells within the Khobar Area to visit our kabayans and offer a prayer for them. I wanted to do that. I just don't know how.

This is me on a Friday in Saudi: Unproductive. Bored. Wasted. Wanting. Waiting. For things to happen.

Some things got to change. In me. Asap.

No Responses

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits