On the menu: Rita Moreno's gasoline salad!‏

I grew up watching The Electric Company.

During my early years in gradeschool (that was uhm...ahh...years ago), my morning literally starts with The Electric Company. Other children saw Sesame Street first, I saw TEC. Blame it on my haughty cousins who saw Sesame Street as 'baduy'. In wanting to be in, I was stuck with Morgan Freeman (and he has become one of my most favorite Hollywood actors).

Funny, though, because I do remember Sesame Street song -- up to now -- but little only of The Electric Company theme song.

Sunny day, sweepin' THE clouds away, on my way to where the air issweet. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?
Versus
We're gonna turn it on , we're gonna bring you the power. It's coming down the lines, strong as they can be through the courtesy of The Electric Company, the Electric Company, the Electric Company!
(Sidebar: It's only now that I learned that TEC was produced by Sesame Street and that the show is going to be revived in the US in 2009.)

Yesterday, I visited You Tube and walked the memory lane for two hours. My visit to The Electric Company was funny, memorable and enlightening. It also brought back lots of memories and laughter as I re-remembered TEC's catchy lyrics and melody.

I re-sung Sign Song with gusto; its lyrics taken from street signs. It's funny because up to now I still remember the tune (although I've forgotten some of the words now).
In, stop, park, walk, yield, enter, exit, one-way, Jane Street, Jone Street, Park Avenue, No right turn, no left turn, what can you do?
Gas, car wash, subway, don't walk, no parking, tow-away zone, uptown, downtown, first avenue, home swee home.
My most favorite is the classic Menu Song by Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno (I didn't know her then and funny because I still didn't know here now; although she's one of the wittiest for me among the characters of TEC).
You got soup?
We got soup.
What kind of soup?
All kinds of soup. We got beet soup. (That's the sweet soup.) Then there's meat soup, parakeet soup, Shredded wheat soup, concrete soup, And the special today: dirty feet soup.
And the song goes on about having different kinds of sandwiches (jam, leg of lamb and telegram sandwiches!), ice cream (plum, rum and bubble gum!) and salad (jelly bean, blue jean and special for today, gasoline salad!).

And of course, the Don't song. (I'm surprised to find out that the girl was Irene Cara!).
Spoken: Some of it may sound silly but I want you to listen closely. It is important...

Don't put ketchup on the cornflakes, don't put pickles in the pancakes, don't put butter in the stew, do and I won't bother you...
(At the end of the song, someone comes in and asks for cornflakes and ketchup). Haha!

My sister and I always sing Whimper and Whine because it really was funny.
We are the kids known as Whimper and Whine. That's what we do when we sit down to dine, whimper and whine.
The C-word Song was where I learned how to e-nun-ciate the word.
Kah - An, Can. Kah - Ap, Cap. Kah - Up, Cup. Kah - Ut, Cut.

After three years, I outgrew the show and transferred my loyalty over to Lola Basyang, Prinsipe Amante, Voltes V and Mazinger Z. One thing is certain though: Even in old age, I will smile and have goosebumps whenever I hear the songs from The Electric Company (and Sesame Street too). As others of my age too, I'm sure.

No Responses

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits