On poverty: What can one person do?



Through J Villanueva Cabrera's X-spot, I learned about the Blog Action Day 2008 Poverty on 15th October 2008. Although it's only four days more before the date, I am hoping to be able to get the message across even to just a few of my fellow bloggers.

Blog Action Day is an annual nonprofit event that aims to unite the world’s bloggers, podcasters and videocasters, to post about the same issue on the same day. The aim is to raise awareness and trigger a global discussion on poverty, a subject that Filipinos are very much aware of.

Quoted straight from the site: First and last, the purpose of Blog Action Day is to create a discussion. We ask bloggers to take a single day out of their schedule and focus it on an important issue. By doing so on the same day, the blogging community effectively changes the conversation on the web and focuses audiences around the globe on that issue. Out of this discussion naturally flow actions, advice, ideas, plans, and empowerment.

Last year, the group's theme was Environment. In 2008, the focus is on "the mammoth issue" of global poverty.

Personal thoughts

I am hurt by the mystery of poverty. It has always been my question why there are people who are very, very poor when there are people who are very, very rich. I can't seem to swallow that trite explanations of injustice, indifference and political corruption.

A simple explanation is this: because we let it. Because of greed. Because we greed.

The bible says this on Luke, Chapter 12:

15 Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
16 And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop.
17 He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'
18 "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.
19 And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '
20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'

What then can one person do? Start with kindness. Some do-able suggestions:


3 Responses

  1. BlogusVox says:

    Poverty is a state of mind. You are if you think you are. A by-product of a welfare-state mentality. Molded by hundred of years of dependence between master and slave, landowner and tenant, native and colonizer, satellite state and superpowers. You can only break its chain of influence if you think you can do it. Unwavering and focused in any goal you want to achive.

  2. Nebz says:

    I agree. Anyone who wants to better his life can. But we can't be indifferent to our fellow Filipinos who are in need of help. We can't say: pasensya ka, iba ang frame of mind mo e.

    Sponsoring to educate one needy child, for him to have a better future, is, for me, a good start, to break the chain of poverty.

  3. Unknown says:

    ei nebz... nice blog u have here.. serious mode.

    i wont comment coz kasama ako sa below poverty level! hehehehe

    ___________________________________

    about that header... sure.. gagawan kita. e mail the details sa ron_turon@yahoo.com

    then, like joshy, ill require some effort on ur part, send me images din of things u want me to incorporate sa header mo. To save us time from editing and in that way ur also in control of the header ako lang magle-layout. di ba?

    email me ok?
    ciao

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits