Passive titles and blog's hotspots

Yesterday, my troubles didn't seem to be so far away. Yesterday, I found a good read which I want to share with you.

Passive-titled webs are better read

Jakob Nielsen said that passive web titles attract more readers than active title.

Active: I was dumped yesterday.
Passive: Dumped I was yesterday.

That is contrary from what I learned in my short stint as a school newspaper writer (ah...some 25 years ago) where my journalism teacher said that headlines must always be in active form.

Example: Gunman kills all 2010 Philippine presidentiables

This present-tense form is more evident in newspaper headlines (and in photo captions).

I'm not into SEO's because I basically don't know how they work, So I'll go passive for post title (until I see another article that contradicts this newfound belief).

Web pages are eyed in F-pattern

Two horizontal stripes followed by a vertical stripe. That, according to Jakob Nielsen, is how a reader scans a web page.

Where exactly? The upper part of the content area, then down a bit for another horizontal movement and finally the content's left side in vertical movement.


Source: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

The study indicates that because users do not read the full text of a blog posts, the first two paragraphs must, therefore, contain the most important information.

All the while I thought that if I put my thoughts on paper (er my blog), that's it. So there is really a scientific way of designing a blog and writing a post.

Such things are nice knowing.

Shall I follow it? Will try. But, knowing how un-retentive my memory is, I'm pretty sure I would soon forget it.

Conclusion: Read Jakob Nielsen's web page. It's treasure-filled and very informative.

One Response

  1. Badong says:

    hi! just dropping by. interesting blog you have, btw.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits