Taming the tongue

Near my office desk is a whiteboard where the following words are written: he who guards his lips, guards his soul. Proverbs 23.

It's my personal reminder to keep my mouth shut when I feel like spewing fire-y words. I'm basically a calm person, however, there are times when I can't control my tongue especially when being told of my mistakes. I'm too defensive; too proud to admit that I am not as good as I think I am.

Too, it is not just once that I feel remorse saying things that I shouldn't have said. Like personal stories that , in spur of the moment, I uncontrollably narrate to friends (those seemingly funny stories that are, in fact, things too personal to discuss even among friends).

Our elders always says that if there's nothing good about what you're going to say, don't say it. Sometimes, though, I can't help it. I say words that I didn't mean, didn't think about. Worse, I am more engrossed (and do secretly enjoy) conversations that discuss other people's lives or subjects that are private, personal and confidential.

Harshly spoken words (and words that are unthought of) are hurting, spiritually crushing, unworthy and only invites more trouble. There is indeed peace in taming the tongue. The bad news is that I'm a slow learner in that aspect. The good news is that however slow, I am still willing to learn.

I quote the following biblical words from James (Chapter 3): Indeed, we put bits into the horses’ mouths so that they may obey us, and we guide their whole body. Behold, the ships also, though they are so big and are driven by fierce winds, are yet guided by a very small rudder, wherever the pilot desires. So the tongue is also a little member, and boasts great things. See how a small fire can spread to a large forest! And the tongue is a fire. The world of iniquity among our members is the tongue, which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature....For every kind of animal, bird, creeping thing, and thing in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by mankind. But nobody can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the image of God. Out of the same mouth comes forth blessing and cursing.

No Responses

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits