Tried and tested blog design tips

Ever wonder how a certain blog came to be? Mine, for example, was initially a two-column Minima stretch until I played around with it and turned it into a three column blog. Of course, I needed help from experts in doing that.

This November, I'm sharing with you some great tips I have found on the web which I applied to my blog. I've personally tried-and-tested them so I can personally vouch that they work. I don't have a clue about web programming hence my being able to do it shows that the following procedures are do-able by anyone.

So dig in. Test it. Use it, if you want. But please don't forget to credit the experts behind them.

Converting a two-column blog into three

Compender offers the easier to understand and easiest to follow guide in converting a two column to three column blog.

Applying navigation tabs

I was at first intimidated by Beta Blogger for Dummies site because of huge texts and multi-color columns. But don't be deceived. I can boldly say that Beta Blogger's site is one of those few which is filled with helpful information and tips for bloggers.

His tips on how to install a navigation menu works fine with me although what I really wanted is to put the code inside my template and not as a widget.

Incorporating a highlight box within the post

Mintblogger is a wondeful find for me because it taught me how to put a colored screen on some of the paragraphs in my post. The colored screen serves as a highlight and a break to lengthy posts.

Redesigning the comment area

Beta Blogger (again!) helped me re-design my post footer. Instead of the usual clickable 'Comments' at the end of each post, the site taught me how to put an inviting one liner to visitors, i.e. 'Be the first to leave a comment!'

The thing I liked the most about re-designing a Blogger template, with the help of blogging gurus, of course, is that it's a continuous learning experience. Plus I get to put my personal stamp on it and unabashedly, without shame, claim it as 'my own'.

This is what's up this November for isladenebz. A changing header every week (inspired by Google doodles). I'm sure it will be an enjoyable experience for me. Hope my readers enjoy it too.

5 Responses

  1. Ze Cabreira says:

    Great!I will try it sometimes(if i have time) Galing mo talaga nebz!Ingit nga ako sa iyong blog eh!

  2. Nebz says:

    Ikaw pa. E sulat mo n lang sa blogs mo, nakakae-libs na...TH nga ang dating ko.

  3. M A Y A says:

    salamat sa pagdalaw (at pagcomment) sa blog kong walang kwenta.

    sige, sibat na ko, english pala blog mo, bka magdugo ilong ko dito, heheh!

  4. M A Y A says:

    binisita ko din blog nyang nasa itaas (nebz), kaso wla sya commen box wla din sya chatbox... pakisabi na lng po ang gaganda ng kuha nya. prof photog ba xa?

  5. Nebz says:

    Maya,

    May three blogs si JVC. Ung 1 open for comment. I think, ung Xspot. I think he is a professional photographer. Gusto ko rin ung mga photos nya tsaka mga articles nya. Thanks din sa dalaw. Nosebleed talaga ha?

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits