The Zen of handwashing clothes

I handwash my clothes. In fact, I just finished handwashing my clothes. It's not that we don't have a washing machine. We do. It's just that I like washing my clothes by hand.

In Saudi, I live in a rented flat with two other Filipinos: one a hairdresser, the other a retiring office secretary. We separately cook our own food on weekdays but we gather for a lunch feast every Thursdays and Fridays (our dayoffs in Saudi).

After a full day's work, there's not much to do in the house except to watch whatever is on television. Or perhaps tweak my blog (which I seldom do now after I've accidentally deleted my blog a week ago).

Hence, washing my clothes by hand is one way of taking myself out from buddha-sitting in front of my tv (which I blame for my belly fats). The exercise also allows me to think of what to write about in my blog. Today, while handwashing my clothes, I thought of writing about...ah..er...washing clothes. Using my hands. It's hidden Zen.

I learned from my mother that handwashing clothes follow a certain pattern.

First, separate the whites from the colored clothes. This keeps the white clothes from being discolored.

Second, pre-wash the clothes in water. Without a soap. It loosens the dirt.

Third, pre-soak the white clothes in soapy water for about an hour. It further loosens the dirt and makes it easier for me to knead it later.

Then, knead the clothes in this order:

  • For the shirt: neck and collar, armpit, lower hem, body.
  • For the trousers: waist, seat, lap, trouser cuff, leg.
  • For jeans: same as with the trousers.
  • For short pants: waist, hem, inside lap, leg.
Finally, hand rinse until water is no longer soapy.

My flatmate said that handwashing is healthy, inexpensive and most importantly, it's green because it saves water. I say, I totally agree. I also thought that it prolongs the life span of my clothes.

The more important thing I like about handwashing is that it allows me to revisit my past days with every clothes I wash. Like when I was washing my yellow shirt which I wore on a dinner date with two long lost friends. How we had a grand time in that Thai restaurant and in that long walk to the bookstore!

Or that shorts I wore at the beach early morning last Friday where I witnessed how the sun dramatically, slowly spread its light fading out the semi-darkness in slow motion. Or something.

Or those socks which need replacing now but I just can't because I need to save money for sending to the Philippines. Or anything more or less dramatic than that.

I must admit that handwashing my clothes is a task that I do not look forward to (the other task I hate doing is ironing my clothes) but I do it because it's part of my life's ritual. The feeling of finishing the task always uplifts me. There is that sigh of relief seeing my freshly-laundered, Downy-smelling clothes lined up neatly under the sun, flapping quietly as the wind passes through them. It brings me peace.

No other task can top that (except perhaps seeing my freshly-ironed clothes neatly folded, color-coded and categorized, inside my wardrobe cabinet).

7 Responses

  1. Anonymous says:

    No other task can top that (except perhaps seeing my freshly-ironed clothes neatly folded, color-coded and categorized, inside my wardrobe cabinet). - KULAANNNGGG!!!! Lagyan mo nang barcode. hehehe!

    i am reminded of my barrio siete life. wala kaming tubig. lecheng putang meyor samen. we hike about 2.3km sa ilog to wash clothes. pag maswerte, me dyip. there, kasama mga kalabaw, hataw nang palopalo. ganun.

    now? i just throw them all in the washing machine then drier them it's done. wala nang plantsa plantsa. cept my office costumes goes to the cleaners.

    how things changed. maarte na ako. gusto ko rin meron akong roomate na hairdresser and manicurer! ahahaha

  2. Nebz says:

    Hahahahahaha! (Ay tumulo ang laway ko?!, este, I salivated...para sosyal).

    Things really have changed now. Pero pansinin mo, if we go back to the basic of things, marerealize natin na the best things in life are really the simplest (of task). Whatever.

    Salamat sa dalaw ng reyna ng blog!

  3. ok yung comment ni reyna...

    dito naman sa kuwait,naranasan kong magpunas lang nung time na papasok ako sa office sakto kasi na nawalan ng tubig,puro sabon pako,ayun,sobra ang lagkit ko...pero ok lang di naman halata kaya lang di talaga ako naging komportable.

    p.s.
    salamat pards! pwede mo grab kahit lahat ng painting ko..he he he.:)

  4. Nebz says:

    Ngayun din, Ever, gagawin ko! Pag me nabenta, komisyon ko ha. Joke.

  5. madjik says:

    andami palang step ang paglalaba. :p

    buti na lang may washing machine at drier dito!.

    @ever
    naranasan ko din maligo sa isang galong tubig..ew

  6. @ madjik,
    pards buti may isang galon pang tubig na natira sayo,sakin punas na lang habang puno ng shampoo ang buhok ko at sabon naman sa katawan.

    ang lagkit talaga,parang natuyong..(censored)sa katawan ko.ha ha ha.

    nedz,
    pards naku salamas!este salamat pala..walang problema pasok sa komisyon..he he he.salamat

  7. Anonymous says:

    I'd love to hand wash my clothes but it's difficult to do it without the BARETA. Kahit na you're gonna use powdered detergent, parang may kulang! Iba talaga pag may bareta. Just got back from vacation and they are manufacturing bareta with a handle na! LOL.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits