Happy new 2009

It's January 1, 2009. The sky is downcast and there's a light drizzle outside. The wind is drearily cold and I can hear a few firecrackers being lit outside, leftover of last night's revelry. There are a couple of neighbors who are enjoying a karaoke amidst howling dogs. My family has gone to sleep early and I'm the only one left silently tapping the computer for this entry.

It rained last night during our Media Noche but the dark sky remained well lit by Dragon and China-made firecrackers. We bought a box of our own (around PHP750) which only lasted for less than 15 seconds. We were hoarse blowing our cheap 'torotot' and my nieces were quite drenched while running around with their lit 'lusis'. Around us, the well-to-do neighbors, delighted us with their own firework display. There was a short power failure last night at exactly 11:55pm but it didn't dampen the spirit of how we greeted the New Year. I think the total darkness even added drama to the event because it highlighted the colorful lights of the fireworks around us (and the fumes as well).

Filipinos hold this belief that a rain in a New Year signifies blessings. I wanted to think 2009 will be a better year. I have to although economic forecasts say otherwise. It's the year of the ox and although I feel sorry for the ox whenever I see an ox cart in the Philippines (that white beast weighed down by a cart of various native wares -- banig, duyan, walis, etc), I do not have a choice but to remain positive about it. An ox is a resilient animal. We then will be resilient in 2009 as well.

Tomorrow, I will be returning to Saudi Arabia. It saddens me, really, because I will be leaving behind my ailing parents and my growing nieces. I don't know what will be in store for all of us and all I can think of now is to pray that 2009 will not be a difficult year as most people believe it will be.

I pray that I may be able to see my aging parents again.
I pray that my nieces grow to be good children to their parents.
I pray that my sister and her husband remain as good parents to their children, and that may they continue to remain as good children to their living parents.
I pray that I rediscover the excitement of my job and that I don't do something silly (like leaving my job) because of boredom.
Amen.

Oh, I pray too that, after you've heard mine, you hear the prayers of the rest of the OFWs and of their families.
And of the Filipinos in the Philippines.
And of the Filipinos living outside the Philippines.
And of the people around the world.
In that order, Lord.

I'm just kidding, of course, because I know you're hearing all our prayers at the same time. I don't know how you do that but I believe you do.

May we all be like an ox: resilient amidst difficulties.

Thank you, Lord.

5 Responses

  1. madjik says:

    happy new year nebs and von voyage.

    may all our prayers be granted..

    and may 2009 be a better year for us all..

    naks.:p

  2. RJ says:

    Pakiramdam ko habang binabasa ko ito nagbabasa ako ng isang nobela, napakaganda ng pagkasulat! Nakikita, nararamdamam, naririnig, naaamoy ko talaga ang iyong Media Noche sa Pilipnas! Wala lang akong nalasahan kasi parang wala kayong nabanggit tungkol sa pagkain... o",)

    Happy New Year, Kuya Nebz! o",) Sana'y maririnig lahat ng Diyos ang ating mga panalangin ngayong 2009!

    Parang nakakalungkot ngang isipin ang iyong muling paglisan... Pero sanay na kayo n'yan, di ba? Happy Trip!

  3. mightydacz says:

    happy new year nebz oi paganda ng paganda ang iyong istilo sa pagsulat.pasalubong ha galing pinas oi welcome back again sa disyerto sa kaharian ni kuya.

  4. Anonymous says:

    happy new year to you! :)

  5. Anonymous says:

    All of us are hoping this coming year will not be as bad as the other years gone by.

    Happy New Year Nebz and welcome back sa lupang buhangin.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits