In Praise of Slumdog Millionaire



Saw Slumdog Millionaire last Thursday evening. Watched it again the next day. I wouldn't mind watching it again tonight if a friend drops by and asks me if there's a good movie to watch.

The movie is Indian, in English (with pinches of Hindi language in between). The story is riveting and hurtingly funny and as what I usually say of a good movie, heartful.

It has won numerous Golden Globe trophies and is now a leading contender in Oscar's.

The film tells about the survival of three slum orphans in Mumbai's harsh setting and what became of their lives after going through series of injustices and difficulties. The three orphans, for me, represent three different choices in life. Those kind of choices that we -- knowingly or unknowingly -- take; choices that would ultimately determine what will become of us later in life. Pa-profound ba?.

Jamal's choice: I will take life's shit (he literally plunged in deep shit in one of the scenes) because I believe that life will be better someday, especially if 'it's written'. He ended up answering all the questions in Who Wants to be a Millionaire, winning 20 million rupees!

Salim's choice: I will not take this sitting down. I have to do something to better my situation. In the end, he became one-of-those thugs by one-of-those bigtime mafia bosses. (Although I personally thought his choice was mainly because of his love for his younger brother Jamal).

Latika's choice: I will survive by waiting and seeing. (In fact all throughout the movie, she is seen waiting and seeing. She actually reminded me of those fairytale damsels who opted to wait for their knights in shining whatever to save them). She was prostituted but in the end was saved by his knight, Jamal.

For me, the first part of Slumdog is the best part of the movie; the first thirty minutes to be exact. I was impressed with that young boy who acted as young Jamal. I was fascinated by the quirkiness of the dialogue. I saw a scene reminiscent of the play Ang Paglilitis kay Mang Serapio. For a moment, I also thought I was watching a lighter version of Lino Brocka's Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag.

Slumdog is that movie that I wouldn't mind seeing over and over (at least until after the Oscar's is finished because I believe Slumdog will beat Benjamin).

(Too, I wouldn't mind recommending Slumdog to RJ who was a bit sore after I've made recommendations about Seven Pounds. RJ: hope you love Slumdog as much as I did).

3 Responses

  1. This is a "feel-good" movie that truly inspires. When this first came out in New York last month, it wasn't even released in big theatres expecting a low turn-out. After critics took notice, it suddenly turn the producers into multi-millionaires.

  2. Sobrang nasiyahan ako ng napanuod ko yung Slumdog Millionaire. Sobrang nakakainspire nga siya biro mo from rags-to-riches, saka magaling yung Director kasi pinakita niya talaga kung ano ang itsura ng kahirapan hindi lang sa India pati na din sa ibang bansa. Kahit paulit ulit kong panuorin hindi nakakasawa.

  3. RJ says:

    May note pala para sa akin dito. Ngayon ko lang nakita. Sorry po. Actually itong Slumdog Millionaire pa ang hinahanap ko sa kasalukuyan kasi 8 Oscar Awards ang napanalunan. Makakakuha rin ako ng copy nito.

    Binalikan ko po itong mga January posts niyo kasi hinanap ko ang PLONING. Katatapos ko lang kasing panoorin.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits