My weekend films: one rewarding, two forgettables

A friend lent me three films to marathon watch this weekend: Changeling, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Body of Lies. Over a steaming cup of coffee, I, unbathed because of the cold weather in Saudi, locked myself in my room for almost seven hours and saw three films: one rewarding, two forgettables.

Here are my rotten (tomatoes-ish) thoughts:

I admit I didn't like to watch Changeling (a true to life story) because I hate films where children are killed or molested or tortured. But then I saw its preview on tv and I thought I'd give the movie a try. I'm glad I did. Jolie, even though I keep seeing Madonna in her throughout the film, was credible in her portrayal of a mother who lost a son and found herself causing a change within the police system of 1920's Los Angeles. Jolie was so sedate throughout the film (which was difficult for me because I keep remembering her as Lara Croft). This is also the first Jolie film I saw where she didn't pose with her too wide-smile, pouty mouth, perfectly-chiseled teeth. Because of this, she is now in my five favorite actresses. Really. (Clint Eastwood is a director to beat in this season's Oscar's. I heard too that his Gran Torino is excellent.)


I thought, while watching Body of Lies, that there were other better films which tackled the subject of terrorism in the West and the Middle East. I even thought the scenes from this movie were rehashed from other films: zooming in and out of spy satellites over the Iraqi desert, slow-mo scenes of building being bombed, etc (because I've seen such scenes ten times from ten other films, I am no longer amazed). I even thought the love story part between DiCaprio and her Indian-looking nurse was an after-thought to inject something warming about the movie. I personally think The Grid is far, far better than this film.


The last film I saw was The Day the Earth Stood Still (a remake of a 1951 film, I later read). Didn't like it a bit and had a thought of re-titling it to The Film that Bored Me to Death. My friends and I were meaning to watch this last December at Mall of Asia IMAX theater (at P400 per seat). Good thing we didn't! Midway in the film, I was taken aback after hearing the alien's reason for visiting the earth: to annihilate mankind and save the planet's resources. The way to get rid of mankind? Feed them to a swarm of what I thought were locusts but later read that they're self-replicating nanites (locusts would have been a better idea, I think).

Next weekend, I hope to find something more fruitful things to do (or better movies to watch).

3 Responses

  1. RJ says:

    Whew! May tatlo na naman po?! Hindi ko na muna binasa ang review n'yo.

    Kasi kahapon ko lang pinanood ang Seven Pounds, mas maganda sana kapag hindi ko pa muna nalaman ang kwento. There's nothing wrong with the story and the acting of Will Smith, mukhang hindi ko lang nagustuhan ang screenplay (siguro dahil nabasa ko na rito ang mangyayari sa movie).

    Happy weekend! o",)

  2. Ken says:

    pahiramin kita nebz, hahaha

    Text mo lang ako or email mo lang ako. true, promise!


    I know dito ka lang khobar. Dita lang din kami, at the heart of the city.

  3. BlogusVox says:

    Nebz, I’ve got something for you here ”http://blogusvox.blogspot.com/2009/01/tag-and-award.html”.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits