So filling

My trip back to Saudi yesterday may be a prelude to the kind of existence I will have on my return: I was bored, sleepless, sad but remained hopeful throughout the flight.

Yesterday, I lounged outside the Manila Airport longer than necessary secretly hoping that my father would phone me to say that he won the Megalotto and that I don't need to return to Saudi anymore. The call didn't come.

While outside the airport, I silently mingled with crescent-faced OFW's and their families: some taking photographs of each other, others just lulling away time waiting for their flight's final call, most on the phone giving final instructions on how to handle the unruly kids, how to budget the finances, how the newly-purchased house shall be paid, how to deal with in laws, etc.

(I can't help but be envious of those other Filipinos who leave the country for pleasure than for business. I hope to one day leave Manila because I'm traveling to Hongkong for Disneyland or to Thailand for some shopping. I'm remorsed that I'm leaving the Philippines for Saudi Arabia so my family can have a decent life. Count your blessings, son, I'm hearing my goodself tell me; most Filipinos are dying to leave abroad for work!).

An hour before the flight, I went inside to queue at the Immigration, then finally at the gate where my flight's assigned.

The trip was arduously long and the flight menu was, as expected, bland. Around me were faces of eager first timers and not-so-eager Saudi OFW returnees.

When we arrived in Bahrain, a shiveringly cold wind greeted us. I was expecting a long wait at the Saudi Immigration in King Fahd Causeway but we crossed the Bahrain/Saudi border surprisingly fast. I arrived very early and dozed off as soon as I had a hot bath.

I lightly slept and, in the morning, I didn't feel well-rested at all. A hot bath didn't help either.

Just when I thought nothing would spike up my day, I remembered those moments while on vacation where I keep muttering to myself: I am happy.

Flashback: Philippines, December 2008.

I was playing the computer and when I looked out the window, I saw a bird building its nest on our mango tree. I muttered, I'm happy.

Or that New Year lunch where my family was glib-talking about nothing in the midst of bulalo and grilled tilapia wrapped in banana leaves. I muttered, I'm happy.

Or seeing our two puppies huddled together in the corner of the house because it was cold outside. I muttered to myself, I'm happy.

Or the thank you's of those children singing carols outside our gate and I heard them asking one another: magkano'ng ibinigay? Barat! It brought a smile in me.

Or hearing my poor cousins say that they remain hopeful in the middle of their poverty, I muttered I'm happy.

A friend wrote: "We may be buffeted by the knocks and challenges of life but it (should not) stop (us from) rediscovering a deeper sense of wonder about life. Wonder at God’s desire to get involved in this complex and confusing world, wonder at his readiness to engage with our daily struggles, wonder at his willingness to travel with us in the social and political turmoil in which we often find ourselves. Our existence is not pointless; our lives are not hollow and meaningless. God became flesh and is committed to being with us; that is the wonder of it all.."

So filling. So true.

I am happy.

Let us all be.


{Code PBA09p17099q for PBA Best Post}

9 Responses

  1. RJ says:

    Very nice post, i had mixed emotions while reading it!

    Sa simula nalulungkot ako kasi nai-imagine ko ang scene sa NAIA, whew! Ayaw ko talaga ng 'departure'... gusto ko palagi 'arrival' kung pwede lang sana.

    Ang galing ng pagka-describe ulit ng mga pangyayari dito! Whew! Ang crescent-faced OFW's na 'yon. At ang mga pagkain, at last nalasahan ko na rin ang iyong Pasko at Bagong Taon sa Pilipinas Kuya Nebz (remember my comment in your previous post?)!

    Sa bandang huli na INSPIRE ako ng husto! Salamat po talaga sa mga words na sinabi nyo rito! Salamat po!

    ----------
    Medyo nahiya sana ako mag-Filipino rito sa comment ko kasi ang husay ng English nyo pero mas nakaka-express talaga ako sa comment kapag FIlipino. Kung pwede nga lang sana Karay-a nalang!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR Kuya Nebz! o",)

  2. mightydacz says:

    wa ahlan!!!kef fel hal nebZ!!!welcome back sa saudi oi pasalubong ko ha.hehehehe.in 3months time from now uwi na rin ako sa pinas yahoo

    nebz kung ikaw ay masaya pumalakpak ka clap clap clap

    kung ikaw ay masaya tumawa ka bwaha ha ha hindi ko na lam lyrics ng song hehehe

  3. pards balik trabaho na naman..buti kapa nakapagbagong taon sa pinas...

    teka tamang homesick na naman ako.he he he...happy new year pards!

  4. Ze Cabreira says:

    Welcome back! Trabajo ulit.

  5. Ken says:

    nebz! Happy New year! Thank you sa list mo ha sa saudi base blogs, dito na yung aggregator site ng mga pinoy expats at ofw's and other pinoy blogger san mang panig ng mundo. Http://thoughtsmoto.blogspot.com pakisuyo po, paplug-in ha. salamat!

  6. madjik says:

    it really felt funny when we had to be somewhere when all we wanted was to just stay...

    again welcome back to saudi and the blogsphere..

  7. Anonymous says:

    salamat sa pagdaan sa aking blog malaking karangalan ang pagkokoment niyo.


    nasa saudi po pala kayo, sana po lagi kayong ligtas diyan at pati ang iba nating kababayan.

  8. Anonymous says:

    You just illustrated a typical "scene" at NAIA everytime we come home and return back to Saudi. Very sensible post, Nebz.

  9. Anonymous says:

    I can only imagine how tough it must be.
    At least you are able to go home from time to time! (I know, doesn't help much now that you are in Saudi...)

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits