When I'm Sixty-Four

When I'm Sixty-Four
Lennon/McCartney

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me,
will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too,
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

I could be handy mending a fuse
When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride.

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck, and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, Wasting Away.

Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?


Well, not for another twenty-something years will I be singing that song. But whenever February comes around, it makes me think of reaching that old age when my hair starts to thin, my teeth begin to rot, my bones aching due to cold, and my bedside table begins to look like a mini-pharmacy because of the many medicines I had to take -- for my cholesterol, for my heart, for my bones, for my skin, for my everything.

This February I'd be 41. It's funny: already my hair line's receding, my bones aching and I'm already taking medicines for my cholesterol. And I'm not yet 64!

I guess it really is downhill from here. I might as well enjoy the ride.

And, yes, I have two consolations about my age:

One: At least among my so-called circle of friends, I'm still the youngest!

Two: Most people mistake me for a high school student! (Take note: high school student; not high school principal).

Haha to that!

8 Responses

  1. RJ says:

    Advance Happy Birthday Kuya Nebz!

    41?! Mali pala ang inilagay niyong age sa Blogger Profile?! Hahaha! o",)

    Regarding the two consolations, ito lang po ang nalaman kong consolations na parang major prize! Ayos!

  2. mightydacz says:

    wallah inta wahid arbain amor sadik!!!

    maligayang bati sa iyong kaarawan oi saan ang party?

    take ur food supplements it will help lol

  3. pards kala ko nga mas matanda pako sayo eh..hapi bertdey in advance!

  4. NJ Abad says:

    Happy Birthday dyan sa iyo. Sana na balutan kita ng kahit na isang kilong sugpo ano? Kaso malayo ka sa amin eh. Salamat pala sa pagsunod mo sa blog ko.

  5. madjik says:

    oi happy birthday..:p

    kalabaw lang ang tumatanda anoka!

    enjoy the ride mr. high school student!! :-)

  6. Ken says:

    happy birthday NEBZ!

    You look like a high school student? oi anong sikreto, pakiblog naman oh!

    But there's a saying that life begins at 40. so you're turning 1 year old! Haha!

    treat mo kami nebz, kahit dyan phu pink lang. :)

  7. Anonymous says:

    Happy Birthday Nebz! Ako "pharmaton" lang ang tini-take ko daily and I'm older than you. Huwag palaging naka-upo sa harap ng computer. Maglakad-lakad ka naman para mai-unat yang mga kasukasu-an.

  8. Nebz says:

    Friends: Salamat po sa pagdalaw. At sa pagbati!!!!

    (Wala lang. Wala talagang nabanggit tungkol sa handa).

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits