Blog popularity

And what's in a juice? And what's in popularity? What is Alexa? Why Technocrati? Why link? Why put blogrolls?

I noticed (and I could be wrong) that most Filipino bloggers are not really concerned about rankings.

This is because most Filipinos blog for reasons other than money or popularity. Again, I can be wrong.


Personally, I ignore these rankings and measurements because I don't honestly know what they mean. (Actually, I am sourgraping because my juice is 0.5, my popularity is almost nil, I'm 25th million in Alexa, and I can't copy the uber cool blogroll and side widgets of Madjik). Sore.

But for those who may be interested in finding out how juicy you are, how popular your blog is, how many links have you got so far, etc, etc, here are some of the sources I recently googled. Try them! You may be surprised at how helpful they sometimes are. (And don't be daunted if ever you score as low as I. Let's leave it with the famous them. In time and with constant prayers, the unknown us will one day be up a notch, you'll see.)

Alexa traffic ranking

Alexa claims that it is one of the most accurate freely available tools in finding out how well your site ranks up against millions of other sites on the Web. The rule is that the lower the Alexa ranking number the more heavily visited the site.

Google page rankings

The Googlerankings Position Tracking tracks your website's Google position. Had extreme difficulty getting results from their site but Page Rank Checker can easily get and display for you the Pagerank value of your web pages.

Technocrati authority

The authority pertained here is the number of blogs that are linking to your sites, for the last six months. The higher the number, the more Technorati Authority the blog has. Technorati's site explains that the best way to increase Authority is to write things that are interesting to other bloggers or linking to source material to help others find what you find interesting. In simpler terms, this measures how other blogs link your site.

Blog juice calculator

It determines the “blog juice” for your blog based on your Bloglines subscription, Alexa rank, Technorati rank and inbound links in Technorati. (Mine is soooo low I can't even call it a droplet).

How fast you load up?

I love this site! It will calculate the page size, composition, and download time of your blog. It sums up each type of web page component and offers sound advice on how to improve your page load time. No matter how good a blog or a site is, if it loads longer than I make my coffee, I will certainly never revisit.

How much is your blog worth?

This computes and displays your blog's worth using "the same link to dollar ratio as the AOL-Weblogs Inc deal". I don't know what this measurement really represents. If you find a way to encash our worth, then do tell me.

It's not a sin to want to -- and even aim to -- be popular. The downside is that (I believe) the more popular the website is, the more impersonal it becomes. For me, the best measure of my blogging ability is when someone comments on my work, no matter how short the comment is, no matter how remote the comment is from the post topic, no matter if it's from a stranger who chanced upon my blog by accident or from someone who I've been exchanging comments with since birth. Honestly, everytime I get a comment, tumataba ang puso ko! I'm pretty sure most bloggers do.

Allow me to thank my perennial commenters who never tire reading me. (And I forgive you even if, in reality, you don't read me but still manage to put a sound comment in my post which makes me believe that you dig me somehow; I'm just kidding): RJ, Blogusvox, Madjik, Ever, NJ, Yanah, JVC, Mr and Mrs Thoughtskoto, Eyecandy, Khrisna, etc. This I promise you: I will forever be your fan. Even if I become too popular. Haha. Just kidding.

At the end of the day, it's not how far you've been nor how high you've reached; it's how you've positively influenced someone to feel, do and be better. Or something to that effect.

13 Responses

  1. Ze Cabreira says:

    Tama ka. Me, I really don't care about rankings pero naglagay din ako ng Google ranking ko 2 o 3 yata ang rank ko, pero I don't care, display lang yung purpose ko kasi doon. And I don't even care kung wala ding magbasa ng mga post ko, para sa akin enjoy lang ako sa aking sariling blog. Masaya na ako na may nakikita akong napasyal sa blog ko.

  2. A-Z-3-L says:

    masaya na tayong mga pinoy ma-express lang natin ang gusto nating sabihin. with the ranking and popularity, who cares? basta may outlet tayo, basta may ibang taong natututo sa stories natin... achievement na un!

  3. panalo ang post mo nebz...ha ha ha..hoy! pards, nung una kong nabasa ang isla de nebz interesado nako,bukod sa gwapo tayo..he he he.(talagang kasama parin ako sa gwapo noh.)magling kang commentator,bilib ako sa post mo tungkol sa philippine blog awards nun.parang ganito yun: walang kinikilingan walang pinoprotektahan,at di natutulog ang blog ni nebz,(sabay ubo na parang si mike enriquez,,ehem! ubo! ubo!,exkyus me po!).

    tama ka.di ko rin alam yung mga ganyan ganyan at ganun ganun.basta alam ko bawas at nakakamatay ng homesickness ang pag blog dahil dyan kayo...(teka langya,parang entry ko nato sa haba ng comment ko.).ginanahan lang ako! he he he.

  4. NJ Abad says:

    Hi Nebz, You got it right! Galing naman ng mga blog mo parekoy! Well, I just put the widgets para medyo may iba namang kulay yung kulay desyerto na blog ko...hahaha. Sabi nga ng iba na lagyan ko na rin daw ng ads para kumita, pero sabi ko naman happy na ako na makapag-blog at least may nagagawa akong dibersyon dito...(hindi nila alam di ako marunong maglagay...ngeek). happy na akong binibisita dito sa desyerto ng mga kaibigang galing kung saan mang lupalop ng mundo.
    I'm not conscious on the ranking of my blog. I'm just glad that I have learned to blog and that is enough for me.

  5. Ken says:

    Google PageRank-3 Alexa -1,211,856,Technorati- 135,898, Juice - 0.9 at Links - 92 walang kwenta pa rin saken yan nebz, kagaya ng sabi ko sa sidebar ko,

    "The data's and metrics are not that much, but our online presence and blog is not to win awards, gain glory or earn money, but to touch lives and inspire others..."

    Thanks for this post at always, magbabasa ako ng blog mo, at minsan, nagbabasa ako pero di nagcococomment! hehe

  6. RJ says:

    Ang mga bagay na ito ang wala sa blog ko. Whew!

    Sa totoo lang matagal ko na ring nais malaman ang kahulugan ng mga ito, pero wala talaga akong panahong hanapin ito kay Prof. Google at Prof. Yahoo. Maraming salamat sa pag-post nito Kuya Nebz. U

  7. madjik says:

    ehem ehem special mention pala ako dito hehehe.

    like most of them palamuti lang talaga yang mga widgets na yan to have my blog look more enticing..

    binabawi ko na lang sa looks kasi lately tinatamad akong mag update hehehe..

  8. NJ Abad says:

    I'm very sorry to disturb your tranquility but I can't help it cuz ur the only ones I can run to in times like this (parang Juicy Fruit gum ano?)

    NJ(Desert Aquaforce)Tagged You!

  9. eyecandy23 says:

    magandang umaga nebz...

    i'm surprised..wasn't expecting na ma-i-shoutout ang name ko dito. :)

    keep it up, we'll be reading!

    \m/-.-\m/

  10. Anonymous says:

    Tama ka Nebz, the more popular the blog, the more impersonal it becomes.

    Bloggers who subcribes to these sites (Alexa, technorati etc) are either "self-concious" or owners of dotcoms. Para sa kanila, the more popular, the more income they get from blogging. Nawawala yung personal touch sa blog and your commenters are just that, commenters. They're no longer your blogfriends. Marami akong nakikitang ganyan, whose first reason for blogging is money. Malalaman mo because their work reflects their true intention.

    I blog because I want to express my self. I'm not yet at that point where I blog because of AdSense. I hope I won't reach that level.

  11. Nebz says:

    Blogger friends: Salamat po sa pagdalaw at sa pagcomment. Para akong inatake sa mga comments nyo (paano kc tumaba puso ko e)...joke, joke.

    I totally agree with what you said. Sana kahit maging number 1 kayo, don't forget to visit me and comment on my post.

  12. aba, may pahabul pang drama epek! ha ha ha..:)

    para samin number wahid toh!

  13. Anonymous says:

    Easily I to but I dream the post should prepare more info then it has.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits