Magdalena Najjar's Five minutes of everyday

A friend shared me this story he found on page 7 of the Arabian Sun, Saudi Aramco's official newspaper. It was a touching narrative of Magdalena C Najjar, a Filipina and a mother. Below is the transcription of the article.


Five minutes of every day
by Magdalena C Najjar

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

Yousif goes to school every morning, just like any other kid. But unlike most who take the bus, he is picked up by a hired driver, Badong, at 6:55 a.m. from a familiar spot near al-Mujamma’.

Yousif’s father waits with him for about five minutes until Badong comes, and then goes to his office.

Sometimes at al-Mujamma’, the Commissary or the clinic, I would meet people who would comment on Yousif’s father, “Oh, he is so nice. I see him with Yousif every morning at the parking lot, and they always seem to be having fun!” One morning, I waited with Yousif. His father had an important presentation to make and wanted to get to work early.

At 6:50 a.m., Yousif motioned to me from the car to pick up his school bag. Then he asked me to fix the hood of his jacket to keep him warm. I did as asked, and he smiled at me. He then offered me his hand and I held it as we walked together to that particular waiting spot. As always, his smile filled me with joy and his touch with pride.

I put Yousif’s bag and mine on a wooden bench, then I engaged him in a game of “peek-a-boo.” Less than a minute later, Yousif looked bored and walked away to stand by the side of the shed. “What is he going to do,” I wondered.

He stood there in full view of the people who were on their way to work, most of them rushing. Yousif extended his hand in the air and every time someone passed by, he said hi. Some returned the greeting and continued to walk. Yousif said bye to each person as they walked away, then turned back again to greet another passerby.

Some stopped to give him a little pat on his shoulder, a pinch on his cheek, or to shake his hand. Others ignored him. I couldn’t take my eyes off him; I was full of pride. Is this what his father witnesses daily? Is that what I had been missing? I could feel my heart bursting with joy andpride.

Then a car honked. I picked up our bags, gave one to Badong and said bye to Yousif, who hugged me, hopped into the car and greeted Badong with a smile, “Good morning.”

Yousif is a very special child. He has Down Syndrome and goes to a special school where he is showered with more love than anyone could measure. He is a gift, a very happy soul and is so unlike anyone. I know that because I live with him. I am his mother, and he is my son. I am proud of that and will always be.

All of us — his father, his older siblings and I — are proud of him. The same goes for everyone who knows him.

This morning was another discovery for me because of Yousif. My husband has been lucky for having that daily five minutes with him — that very unique five minutes to begin each work day.

My hat's off, Magdalena. You touched me by your story.

12 Responses

  1. mightydacz says:

    hi nebz thanks for sharing this story.hay nakakamis ang blog.oi i do quickie visit and read ur blog sorry hindi ako nakakapagcomment.u know nman blogging while working or the other way around.lol

  2. NJ Abad says:

    Hi Nebz, great story!

    I appreciate Magdalena's outlook in life - Enjoying the little things even with the few 5-minutes she has with Yousif. One day she will look back and realize that those 5-minutes were the big things!

  3. RJ says:

    Magandang kwento! And it's a coincidence na ito ang post na binasa ko 5 minutes bago ako aalis papunta sa trabaho. U

  4. 2ngaw says:

    Simpleng bagay na gawin mo sa loob ng kaunting minuto, parang buo na ang araw mo...magandang pangsimula ng araw un ah :)

  5. Ken says:

    nakakatouch! great story indeed, and it made me feel proud when I found out at the bottom na mother niya nagkukuwento.

    Yousif is a gift fom heaven, really. To remind us what would life be without worries, without greed, without selfishness.

    Thanks Nebz!

  6. A-Z-3-L says:

    Salamat Kuya Nebz for the touching story.

    ngayon narealize ko kung gaano kaimportante ang 5 minuto sa isang ina at isang anak!

  7. kaya dapat lagi nating bigkasin ang mahal ko kayo inay,araw araw!

  8. 00000000000 says:

    Napakahalaga talaga ng time lalo na kung para sa mahal natin sa buhay. Miss kna family ko at my habibi. Thanks dn sa info bout pininyahang manok.heheh

  9. Francesca says:

    Its is true that special children are more happier than the normal ones, because their desires are innocent and with out malice. All they want is to give and receive love. If only the " so called intelligents" one are like Yousif.
    there will be peace in this world.

  10. Nebz says:

    Salamat po sa pagdalaw.

    Mightydacz: Matagal k ngang nawala e. Pero naunawaan ko naman dun sa post mo. Alam kong busy k lang sa trabaho.

    NJ: I, too, am moved by Mrs Najjar's story. As a mother, I guess everytime she's with Yousif is golden.

    RJ: Totoo. It really comes from a loving mother, no?

    Lord CM: May mga bagay na nangyayari sa buhay natin na kahit simple lang leaves us a profound memory.

    Mr Thoughtskoto: Yousif is that. A gift. And he's lucky to have a loving mother in Mrs Najjar.

    Azel: Salamat kay Mrs Najjar for a loving story!

    Ever: And I'm sure Yousif tells it to her mom, although not verbally and not normally as other children too. Ganunpaman, alam kong mahal n mahal ni Yousif ang nanay nya. At ganun din naman si Mrs Najjar.

    Joyce: I hope masarap ang pagkakaluto mo...

    Francesca: The borderline between the like of Yousif and us, so called normal, is very, very thin. Naniniwala ako na the term special does not describe their being different from us but their being better than us in a lot of ways.

  11. Nebz says:

    Salamat po sa pagdalaw.

    Mightydacz: Matagal k ngang nawala e. Pero naunawaan ko naman dun sa post mo. Alam kong busy k lang sa trabaho.

    NJ: I, too, am moved by Mrs Najjar's story. As a mother, I guess everytime she's with Yousif is golden.

    RJ: Totoo. It really comes from a loving mother, no?

    Lord CM: May mga bagay na nangyayari sa buhay natin na kahit simple lang leaves us a profound memory.

    Mr Thoughtskoto: Yousif is that. A gift. And he's lucky to have a loving mother in Mrs Najjar.

    Azel: Salamat kay Mrs Najjar for a loving story!

    Ever: And I'm sure Yousif tells it to her mom, although not verbally and not normally as other children too. Ganunpaman, alam kong mahal n mahal ni Yousif ang nanay nya. At ganun din naman si Mrs Najjar.

    Joyce: I hope masarap ang pagkakaluto mo...

    Francesca: The borderline between the like of Yousif and us, so called normal, is very, very thin. Naniniwala ako na the term special does not describe their being different from us but their being better than us in a lot of ways.

  12. Coming Home says:

    Hi.. thanks for this... ang tagal naman bago kumibo... totoo kasi ang linya na "you are the last to know." :-)

    Magida Najjar

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits