Do we have responsibilities as bloggers?

When I signed up for Blogger, I didn't read the contents of its Terms of Service. I just clicked yes. Embarrassing! Yesterday, I revisited the text of the Blogger Terms and here are two interesting clauses I found:

"By their very nature, Blogger.com and Blogspot.com may carry offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate material, or in some cases, postings that have been mislabeled or are otherwise deceptive. We expect that you will use caution and common sense and exercise proper judgment when using Blogger.com and Blogspot.com."

"Google does not endorse, support, represent or guarantee the truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any communications posted via the Service or endorse any opinions expressed via the Service. You acknowledge that any reliance on material posted via the Service will be at your own risk."

We are therefore on our own. It's a freebie publishing! Or is it? Do we not have responsibilities as bloggers? If we have, then what are those responsibilities?

What other bloggers say?

Yesterday, I posted a topic in Blog Catalog and so far, only one commented on the question (oopps...there's two now; one from an Indonesian who is also just starting to blog).

Says CaptainD, a PC gaming blogger from the UK: "Your responsibility as a blogger is basically what you set for yourself - I think most of us try to be accurate and fair in whatever we blog about..."

For more responses, I, as usual, googled it and here are what I found.

Rebecca Blood of Rebecca's Pocket opined that "rights have associated responsibilities" and went on to list seven ethical standards in blogging.

Lorelle VanFosen of the Blog Herald said: "I like the idea of setting a standard with my blogging. I’m setting an example for others to follow on how to blog, how to comment, and how to network and establish relationships online...helping them understand the rules and guidelines about how to play in this new virtual sandbox."

When Tim O'Reilly and Wikipedia proposed the formulation of Bloggers Code of Conduct, Inquirer.net's Blog Addicts posted a question on whether (Pinoy) bloggers agree with the measure.

Shari of Misteryosa.com commented: "I think not. It just defeats the purpose of blogging. Especially personal blogging. The Blogger’s Disclaimer/Comment Policy should be enough for everyone. Setting a “standard/code” is just plain ludicrous. We all have our own way of dealing with hate comments...we all have our own meaning of “unacceptable content”. That being said, we should be responsible for what we say. But isn’t that already an “unwritten rule”?"

Martin Perez of Akomismo wrote a lengthier article on the subject. He said: "The code of conduct builds itself up through our interactions with our readers. That is why I find a general code of conduct unnecessary since all blogs have their own communities and develop their own norms anyway." He went on to quote Robert Fulghum's All I really need to know I learned in kindergarten and adapted the poem to blogging milieu.

What's my take on the issue?

Yes we do have responsibilities as bloggers. And yes, we should impose self-rule when we post in our blog.

Not because we label our blog 'personal' means our blog is only for private viewing. The truth is: it's not. Once you click publish, you allow the blogging world to read, know and judge you.

And not because we just merely wanted to express ourselves means we could write whatever we want without any consideration for others. The truth is: people read us and people react to what we say. We influence people by what we write; by the way we write.

I've had my own (huge) share of trash on the web and I'm still trying to learn my lessons.

Personally, as a newbie blogger, I believe my responsibilities are founded on the primary reasons why I blog:

to express and to inspire;
to learn and to share what I've learned.


For now, I'll use Google Blogging Terms as guide in writing my posts: I'll use caution and common sense and proper judgment. And yes, I'll try to keep in mind those basic things that I learned in grade school. (I'm one of those who skipped the kindergarten).

What is your say on the topic?

17 Responses

  1. NJ Abad says:

    Responsible blogging is accountable blogging! And ETHICS matter!

    Realistically, bloggers should not expect to be praiseworthy without recognizing that they are also blameworthy and accountable for what they blog.

    If the blog is not original, citations have to be made!

    When I blog, I have this quote as my guide:

    "Speak from that place in your heart where you are most yourself. Speak directly, simply, lovingly, gently and without any apologies. Tell us what you see and want us to see; tell us what you hear and want us to hear....Trust your own heart. The words will come. There is nothing to fear...."
    ~ Henri J.M. Nouwen, Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World

  2. NJ Abad says:

    By the way Nebz, I too didn't read the Terms and Conditions of the Service. I just scrolled down and clicked...Gosh!

    But alhamdollilah, each day I learn from my mistakes. I still have a long long way to go.

    One reason why I had to be transparent and revealed much about myself was basically because of the responsibility that goes with blogging. Every post that I have should be a revelation or a reflection of who I am. That includes the comments I make to other posts.

    Sometimes I feel I come out too strong and imposing but that's who I am but that goes with the responsibility and accountability.

    If you have noticed, I had to include my Life Statement - my guide on my page so everytime I deviate from who I wanna be, I can say...Oooo...Is that me?

    Sorry Nebz, talagang mahaba ako mag post pati mag comment. It has been my long time desire to write short and concise but until now I'm still stuck in this drain.

    It's because that's me! Parang post na naman ito... Malesh!

  3. Anonymous says:

    Every line of duty, work, recreation, etc. has its own sense of moral responsibility. Yes, we can express but it is a lot more desirable if it's inspiring and stimulating. It is our right to express, but that doesn't mean we have to be abusive.
    "We have the right to be angry but that doesn't mean we have to be cruel."
    -ourdailycupofcoffee

  4. Anonymous says:

    These are the guides I adhere to when I was a member of our school newspaper:

    Is it the Truth?
    Is it Informative?

    It is still my guide when I blog. When I post something written by somebody else, I make it a point to mention their names. That way I acknowledge their authorship and also as a "cushion" in case someone challenge the article. : )

  5. Nebz says:

    NJ:

    Kahit gaano pa kahaba ang post mo, I will remain to be awed by your writing. Although minsan inaantok ako dahil sa sobrang haba nga nya but, just like watching a good movie, kahit alam mong mahaba, tatapusin mo pa rin sya dahil alam mong may mapupulot ka in the end.

    I liked your quotations from Nouwen. I'll search for the book.

    Re your life statement, that's what caught me into reading you, lam mo ba un?

    Kiko:

    Nicely said. Thanks for visiting.

    Ed:

    Parang 4-way test ng Kiwanis: Is it the truth? Is it fair? Will it be beneficial to all concerned? Will it foster goodwill and better friendship?...parang ganun.

    Recap:
    We blog to...
    1/ Express...
    2/ Inspire and stimulate...
    3/ Inform...

    Truthfully.

  6. RJ says:

    Naku, maraming, maraming salamat po sa pagpost ng pinakamahalagang bahagi ng Blogger's Term of Service. Hahaha! Hindi ko rin po yan binasa lahat noong nag sign-up po ako! Whew! Importante ito sa next post ko, tsk, tsk, tsk. [iN a very serious mood.]

  7. Nebz says:

    RJ,

    Wala pong anuman. I forgot nga to congratulate u dun sa style na ginawa mo dun sa recent post mo about name tags. I'm impressed. Truthfully. Actually you, Ed and a few others remain to be my ideal bloggers dahil whenever I read you, I learn a great deal of something.

    Tama n at baka d k maniwala. Believe. Because I truly, deeply dig you. Naks.

  8. Anonymous says:

    Kabayan! Maganda tong ni-raise mo na punto.
    Masyado kasing bukas at malawak ang sakop ng www at ng mundo ng blogging eh. Kaya madalas, sa usaping ganito eh personal responsibility mo na lang bilang blogger towards sa iba pang mga tao sa www ang tinitignan.
    Ang mahalaga, dapat alam mo ang limitasyon mo at siyempre ang mga goals mo bilang blogger., MAgrereflect din kasi yung personal ethics mo sa mga pinaggagagawa mo sa inarnets diba? Hehe.

    Pagpalain ka jan ng sangkalawakan.

  9. Anonymous says:

    Yes we do have responsibilities as bloggers. And yes, we should impose self-rule when we post in our blog.-TAMA KA...

    SALAMAT SA PAGBISITA SA BLOG KO... :)

  10. Nebz says:

    Salamat, Kabayang Samjuan:

    "Magrereflect ang personal ethics mo sa pinaggagawa mo sa internet...".

    Hmmm...I agree. Tayo ang isinusulat natin. Kung paano ang tingin natin sa buhay, un ang lumalabas sa mga posts natin.

    OMG, I'm dead...as in dead serious sa mga topics ko lately. Siguro I should lighten up a bit.

    Joshmarie:

    Self-rule ko this morning: Bawal magblog sa office. Sa bahay lang dapat...(I'll try).

    Salamat din po.

  11. The Pope says:

    Ethics dictate that a blogger should always be accountable to his readers in general irregardless even if you maintain anonymity or hide behind the cloak of virtuality. Vis'-a-vis' with blog readers, we have the obligation to answer questions, comments, and critisms.

    Responsible blogging is synonymous to humane blogging.

  12. Nebz says:

    Pope:

    Thanks for your insights. I'll do my best to be a humane, responsible blogger.

    And from this day forward, I will respond to all who comments in my posts (minsan kasi, nakakaligtaan kong balikan ang mga luma kong posts; d ko alam meron palang mga naiiwan na hindi ko napasalamatan).

    Salamat po sa dalaw.

  13. angel says:

    wala pa po akong masabi kc bagito pa lng ako sa larangan ng blogseperyo hingi lng po ako ng permission para na eh add kita sa blg ko salamat & more power god bless :)

  14. Nebz says:

    Angel: Salamat po. Dinalaw ko ung blog mo. Magaganda ang mga tula mo ha. Good luck din po and congratulations.

  15. braggito says:

    Hell Nebz,
    The reason why I'm blogging is that I don't want to be constrained to the editorial standards of any media which most of the times are biased. My responsibility I believe is to protect my freedom to express myself. I am lucky that I am not in China or Myanmar where internet access and contents are controlled by the government. I believe that with freedom comes responsibility. Since most of our media are irresponsible and are blinded by their personal interests, it is our duty as bloggers to expose, critic and protect the truth.

  16. Francesca says:

    rules àre good, but if we follow good common sense, life would much eàsier in blogging.

    I just cànt stnd people sàying to me i should do this ànd do thàt.

    Màdàme ko làng pwede , hehehe

  17. Niqabi says:

    I as well is guilty of not reading the terms and condition. And I once believed that no one should meddle me on whatever I will be saying, that I can say anything I want because no one will go to my page anyway. Mali pala yun. Tama ka kuya, once you hit that publish button, you are allowing everybody in the world wide web to read and from then starts your responsibility.

    Thank you for this very helpful post. :)

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits