We are because of our parents' wisdom

Our parents are no different. They all have shared to us their wisdom. And we become them.
I am lucky than most people of my age are. Both my parents are still alive and well. My mother Juanita is 68; my father Lamberto is 75.

This post is sort of an ode to Bert and Nita, and of the repository of wisdom my sister and I learned from them. (I'm sure in the end you will realize that our mothers and our fathers are no different. We, as children, learned similar wisdom).

Ubos-ubos biyaya, bukas nakatunganga.

My mother epitomizes the Ilocana's so-called 'kuripot' trait (the positive kuripot, I mean). She's good at saving money. In my first year in Saudi, she saved, to my surprise, all the remittances I sent her. We used the money to buy a small parcel of land.

Some of her favorite lines about savings include:
  • Learn to save because you don't know what will happen to you tomorrow.
  • You will not always have your job.
  • Be content of what you have.
  • Spend only for the necessary things.
  • Never be extravagant.

Tutal basa na rin ako, kaya maliligo na ako sa ulan.

My father is a president of a local farmer's group in our place, and as expected, he has various enemies ranging from influential landowners, pro-landowner government officials, and fellow farmers of other factions. No, he's not the type that goes to rallies. He's more of a mediator than an activist.

Five years ago, a wealthy landowner harassed my father with a legal case. Not used to any legal dramas, we were panicky about it and we begged our father to give up his position to someone else younger.

He delivered to me that line about 'ulan'. He also delivered to me the following lines:
  • Why fear when you know you're in the right?
  • Laging Diyos ang bahala sa akin.
  • If I don't help them (the farmers), who will?
  • Never, ever compromise when you know you're right.

Your children will be you.

My sister learned this the most. When one of her siblings refused to go to a new school, she said to me: Mahirap pala kapag matigas ang ulo ng anak mo. I just smiled at her. Of us, I am the most disciplined; my sister the hardheaded.

Elvie said: Now I know how difficult I must have been as a daughter.

She quit her job, embarrassingly joined her daughter inside the classroom and never left her side (literally), until her daughter acclimatized to her new surrounding. Today, Janine happily goes to school without Elvie. That episode taught me how great a mother Elvie is. I told her how I was proud of her for that. She said: If I don't stick with my daughter, who else will help her?

I told her: As to how difficult you were as a daughter, I guess you've paid your dues.

My mother sheepishly agreed. She said: No matter how difficult your children are, you never give up on them.

She also said:
  • Children's happiness is also the mother's.
  • There are really no difficult children to a patient mother.
By far, the greatest lesson I've learned from this life is that the most painful event that could happen to us, that which will leave us feeling empty in all eternity, is not being able to profess to our parents how much we love them and how much we cherish them and how much we are grateful of them -- of their wisdom, their character, their all.

Because we are because of them.


[By the way, have you already subscribed to my feed? If you haven't, I'd appreciate if you do. Thanks.]

10 Responses

  1. A-Z-3-L says:

    Ganon talaga ang magulang... tuturuan ka pa rin kahit matanda ka na.

    Teka.. baka magkadugo ang mother mo at mother ko Kuya Nebz... pareho sila ng style! aheks!

  2. The Pope says:

    There is no greater love than the love given by parents to their children.

    And I agree with you... "because we are because of them".

    "Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck." (Proverbs 1:8-9)

  3. Francesca says:

    the great book teaches us to obey our parents, honor them, as it is a commandment from God above.

    A wise child is a crown to his parents.

    You father is one rare filipino. Lahi pala siya ni Ka andreS Bonifacio...
    He is right, he is not a stupid farmer from Timbukto. He knows where he stand , and I like to discuss with people like him.
    Determined. Strong in spirits...

    You must be like him.a must. Wink.

  4. NJ Abad says:

    Hi Nebz, yes we are because of them! Hats off to Tito Bert and Tita Nita. I'm also proud to say that the influence of my parents to me and my siblings was like the rudder that steered us to where we are now.

    Now that I'm a parent, I always put it on myself to believe that my greatest success will be through my children’s eyes and to positively develop that relationship and admiration regularly from them.

    Nebz, where the "heaven" do u get all ur posts? Mukhang realization of the dream to write like Isabel...

    Another two thumbs up for this great post!

  5. 2ngaw says:

    Yun lang!!!Narerealize lang natin ang mga ganyan kapag naranasan na nating tumayo sa kinalalagyan nila...pasalamat na lang tayo at anjan sila, para ihubog tayo sa kung ano ang tama...

  6. si nanay ko...wahhhhh! namisss ko sobra si nanay!


    naalala ko rin yan din ang binibigkas ni nanay dati,ubos ubos biyaya pag wala tingala.

    saka pag kalit yun,sasabihin..

    pag nahulog ka dyan..masasaktan ka sakin!..he he he.

  7. Ken says:

    Is it not cute? Is it not wonderful that they will be there to take care and guide us, and watch over us to the extent that sometimes they become so annoying? hehehe

    But in a point of view of a son who lost a father at 6 and a mother at 16, I just missed them, I think its great that they share their wisdom to us.

    hehehe

  8. Nebz says:

    Salamat pong muli sa pagdalaw!

    Azel: Totoo. Hanggang ngayon, pinapagalitan pa rin ako ng nanay ko. Lahat yata ng nanay (o karamihan marahil), pare-pareho ng style. Siguro dahil pinag-daanan nila'y hirap at ayaw nilang danasin ito ng kanilang anak.

    The Pope: Amen. Naniniwala ako doon. Sa kanila ko natutunan lahat ng magagandang gawi ko. Sa barkada ko natutunan lahat ng pangit. Hehehe.

    Francesca: Naku, hinding-hindi ako magiging tatay ko. Ako si Compromise. Para lang walang gulo, una akong sumusuko. Hindi si Papa. Sya, pag-alam nyang tama sya, hala sige sugod kung sugod. That's what we fear about it. Ung pagkakaroon nya ng matigas na paninindigan. He has a point. Sabi nya sa amin: Kapag mahina ako, ano'ng mangyayari doon sa mga taong nakatingala sa akin?

    NJ: Ang sarap magkaroon ng huwarang magulang no? I'm sure ganun din ang tingin ng mga anak mo sa yo. Salamat po.

    Lord CM: True. At mahirap palang maging magulang db? At doon lang natin tunay na naa-appreciate ang parents natin.

    Ever: True. Ung linyang: kapag nahulog ka sa hagdan, may tama ka sa akin, o kaya pag d mo nakita hinahanap mo, makikita mong bata ka...hehehe.

    Kenji: Hay naku, there was a time na talagang punding-pundi ako sa tatay ko that we didn't talk for two days. Pero noon un. Nung bata pa ako.

    I'm sure Kenjie that you will be a great father to Tot dahil maaga kang nagkaroon ng responsibilidad when you became a father and a brother to your siblings. Swerte ni Tot sa u. Sa inyo.

  9. Leamsi says:

    hi nebz! thanks for dropping by my site.

    parents talaga give us the wisdom they too have learned from their experiences. they know much better coz they've been through it [at most if not all]. it's just better to listen to them esp when our emotions get mixed up with sensible solutions. kudos to all the parents for they are truly our lifetime heroes!

  10. Niqabi says:

    wow.. i hope your parents were able to read your post kuya nebz. Abot tenga siguro ngiti nila nun. Anyways, regardless kung nabasa nila to or hindi, i bet they are very proud of you..

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits