Earth, angels and demons

Then God commanded: Let there be light -- and light appeared. (Genesis 1:3)
Over this weekend in Saudi, I watched two interesting films which are, at first glance, offer no semblance with each other. Both films brought me closer to my spiritual self. Feeling somewhat religious after watching these films, all I can say is: God is really, really good. And really, really great.

And his ways are mysterious.

Angels and Demons
Directed by Ron Howard
Based on the book by Dan Brown
Starred Tom Hanks and Ewan McGregor


Religion is flawed.

Only because man is flawed.

That's the line that stuck with me after watching Angels and Demons.

It is an exciting movie. Filled with mysterious people, cloak and dagger scenes and background histories about the Catholic Church and the Illuminati.

When I first read the book some years ago, I instantly looked forward to seeing it on film (just like how I secretly wish I could see Garcia Gabriel Marquez's Macondo on film). As usual, books-turned-into-films fall short of viewers' expectations. Angels and Demons the book holds more exciting scenes than the film does. Just the same, it's a good escape film.

What the movie told me?

That the Catholic Church -- and our Catholic heads -- are not infallible (just like any other religion I suppose). But just the same, I need it as a vessel of my faith. Without it, without something to base my faith on, will be like being drifted in this wide, wide sea of chaos and confusion without something to hold on to. Faith is, simply, believing in something, being doubtful at times, but in the end, believing just the same.

This movie link is quite an interesting read.

Earth 2009
Produced by the British Broadcasting Company
Directed by Alastair Fothergill
Narratives by James Earl Jones

There's nothing in this film that I haven't seen yet. Two years ago, I bought my nieces the full set of The Planet Earth - BBC version. We tremendously enjoyed it.


The set contained five captivating DVDs about nature, flora and fauna, mountains and caves, animal migration, etc. No scenes on these films are wasted. All the scenes leave me with a feeling of bewilderment and awe to the magnificense of the planet Earth and of course of God (while watching Earth 2009 last Thursday night, I re-realized that there is indeed a greater power behind all things. You can call it by any other name but I call that power God).

The cycle of this planet, the schedule of animal migration, the changing of seasons are all designed with utmost precision.

Earth 2009 is worth seeing if only to remind us about the beauty of life on earth and about our place in this planet. While at it, I would highly recommend you The Planet Earth which you and your kids (and loved ones) will definitely enjoy watching. We did.

And if you wish to have a glimpse of how wonderful these BBC series are, try this interactive site.

12 Responses

  1. witsandnuts says:

    I almost picked Planet Earth from Carrefour yesterday but I ended up buying Sims 3. =) I'll take your word for it, I'm getting one the next time I see it.

  2. Anonymous says:

    Alam mo, I bought my copy from Carrefour in Alkhobar, Saudi. Funny! That's the last place I would normally go to when looking for a good DVD buy.

  3. meron narin akong bbc planet earth2009, nabili ko rin sa carrefour dito sa kuwait.

    tsamba lang rin ng makita ko dito.
    mostly sa jarir bookstore ako naghahanap.

    yung angles and demons, sa ending ako nagandan yung lumalabas na yung pope at tumingin sa babaeng bida.medyo may dating sakin yung paglabas at inaabangan ng maraming tao kung sino yung papalit.

  4. RJ says:

    Just like the '...the Half-blood Prince', I watched the Angels and Demons in the cinema twice! Whew! I agree, the book is better than the movie; maybe because I was expecting much!

    "in your will, be sure that it'll find its way home... And if you're planning to write about us, please be gentle."

    Very gentle ang approach ng movie ni Ron Howard kaysa sa book ni Dan Brown.


    ---
    Okay, I will find ways to watch The Planet Earth, and Earth 2009. Parang maganda nga.

  5. BlogusVox says:

    How about watching something beyond earth, like Cosmos. It will make you think how lowly and insignificant we are compared to the entire universe.

    I will also makes you think about the purpose of "Creators".

  6. Sardonyx says:

    Hayyy kakainis di ko pa rin napanood yun Angels and Demons, abangan ko na lang sa DVD hehehe. At yun Earth 2009 hmmmm looks interesting for my son. Uy I'll email you nga pala about the stamps :-)

  7. Ruel says:

    I read Angels and Demons and I already saw it on screen. It's a wonderful movie..

    With regards to Earth 2009, di ko pa napanood to but I'll try to get a glimpse on it..

    Thanks bro for the info..Have a great day!

  8. The Pope says:

    I love watching yung Angels and Demons, maganda ang plot ng story... yung Planet Earth, check ko sa Carrefour ang DVD.

    God bless.

  9. Nice post, Nebz. I enjoyed reading your reviews and would look forward to watching these.

    Thank you for your voting for me. I miss reading your blog so I would backread a little ;)

  10. Ken says:

    We've watched Angels and Demons too, maganda ang plot and scenes kasi maintrigue ka who really is behind all these including the poisoning of the Pope, pero yeah, I agree, when reader ka ng book, and you watched it in film, you will only be disappointed. Parang yung Half Blood Prince, hindi naman nila sinusunod yung sa book, parang iba ang kwento.

    The Planet Earth cost 275SR in Jarir Bookstore. Nakita mo yung nagmigrate ang hundreds of thousands of birds? Exhilarating scene! We love this dvd kasi paulit namin pinapanood ng baby namin. Especially yung version na Oceans. 11 Episodes with tremendous insightful knowledge. Ang galing ng BBC! 5 Years daw ginawa yun.

    Planet Earth 2009 napanood na namin, parang galing din ang mga scenes sa the PLANET EARTH na series, pero mas maganda at mas malinaw ang pagkapresent.
    heehe, haba ah.

  11. it's a good thing i didn't read the book (angels and demons) so i didn't have high expectations for it. the experience turned out to be great. :)

    love,
    nobe

    www.deariago.com
    www.iamnobe.wordpress.com

  12. Garando says:

    I watched Angels & Demons during the course of my flu last June. I kept wondering after seeing the movie, does the Vatican really have a secret library that is so high tech? Perhaps to keep the mold and bugs out?

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits