Fragmented thoughts of what was my weekend

:-) Moviedom wisdom

Saw Hope Floats by Sandra Bullock. Seen it too many times but can't keep myself from watching it. I particularly liked the last line of the movie.

"Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome. That's what momma always says. She says that beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will...

And yes, also saw Ghosts of Girlfriends Past and particularly liked this line:

"Love is magical comfort food for the weak and uneducated."
If I constantly get wisdom from a boob tube, will it make me a boob?


and this...

"The power in a relationship lies with whoever cares less."

Not that I'm going to use those lines as my new mantra but at my current stage (and just for kicks), I think I will for a few days.

:-) The wisdom of poor kabayan

My housemate had a visitor, an OFW, who narrated to me his sob sorry story about his work, i.e. how small their salary is, how everything is deducted from their meager salary (costs of uniform, housing, ID, iqama, etc), how unjust the management of Al Tazaj is and how cruel their Palestinian supervisor is. I realized:

1. That if a similar thing happens to me, I will not be as patient and resilient as kabayan was. I will kill the Palestinian and flee from Saudi never ever to return. (Of course, it's just a thought! In reality, I will likely take that similar road that kabayan has taken to survive);
My heart aches whenever I see a kabayan nanny, or hear the woes from unlucky kabayans. If only I have a magic wand, I'll save you all!


2. That real OFW heroes are those whose fates are similar to kabayan above; not I who always find time to emotionally glib-talk my state in Saudi. And not you too who are reading this in the confines of your rooms, cuddling sitsirya and coke, enjoying the cool breeze of your A/C!;

3. That if kabayan can afford to take life easy amidst his sorrows, the more must I when my 'so-called problems' are nowhere near his' (mine is not really a problem; it's only an emo!).

I really felt bad after listening to his story and I told him this. He said: why be sad? That's our fate! But it's sure is going to be over soon! (They're leaving on Exit Only this November). To kabayan, good luck!

:-) Friends can color you yellow from blue

Late Thursday afternoon, went out of the house to get rid of this numbing feeling of being hopeless and blue. Saw some old friends and I realized:

I -- not Paris Hilton -- said this: Life's been too kind to me...I'm just trying to appear like it isn't so I can blend in with the rest of mankind.
1. I am maybe old (in comparison to you who are reading my blog) but I'm the youngest among my pals (hence, I consider myself young);

2. I have no logic most of the time;

3. Sometimes it's good to lie. Like when a friend asked me yesterday if his pansit is delicious, I said yes and I sensed his satisfaction. (Another friend, some days back, asked me if his banana cake is good and I said it tasted like banana peel. Of course, I'm just kidding. We are not in speaking terms yet up until now).

4. The world is full of good and evil. I was seated in a table with two friends. I told them I haven't been sleeping well for the past two days. Simultaneously they said: "Jack off!" and "Pray".

5. There's no cure for a sad weekend except being with friends who treat you to a halo-halo.

13 Responses

  1. Vajarl says:

    Well I could be one of your 'kabayans' who keep complaining about how low their salaries are. Except, I am not abroad. And I am not entirely sure if I should consider myself lucky because of that. XD

    For me white lies are most of the time better than truth. I don't think a lot of people appreciate hearing the truth, everybody wants some parts left out, most just don't admit that openly. And White Lies are not actually lies. You still tell the truth, you just don't tell some parts of the truth to make others feel better or not get mad. At least that's what I think. Hehe.

  2. Badong says:

    so sa Hope Floats pala galing yung quote na yun! hehe

    ah, friends. magkakasama kami lagi pero i'm starting to miss them already. i can see graduation looming in the horizon already.

    "I -- not Paris Hilton -- said this: Life's been too kind to me...I'm just trying to appear like it isn't so I can blend in with the rest of mankind." -- lovely. life is beautiful indeed.

  3. RJ says:

    (1) On Sandra Bullock's Hope Floats: 'Yon pong sa 'in between' thing. Naalala ko tuloy ang naisulat ni Og Mandino, hindi ito actual words pero parang ganito, "We always think that in this life we only need other people at the start (baby?) and before it ends (oldie); but actually, we also need them in between!" Huh, hindi po ba related?

    Ganito nalang. Sa recent post ni Azel may quote doon na, "Hope is good for breakfast but not for supper." U

    (2) On Kabayan... Ano po ba ang Al Tazaj? Itatanong ko kay Pareng Google mamaya.

    (3) Hahaha! (a) madalas sa workplace ako rin ang pinakabata. (b) ayos na ayos ang payo ng friends niyo para kayo'y makatulog. Tanong: Sinunod niyo po ba?

    I like the humor of this blog. Huhmn, parang unti-unti itong nagbabago ng genre.


    ---
    ON ENGLAND STAMPS. Wow! Maraming, maraming salamat po, Kuya Nebz! Natanggap ko na po ang mga padala niyo.

  4. RJ says:

    Barbecue Restaurant pala ang Al Tazaj! Uhmn... Good, sige kain lang nang kain ng mga manok para tumaas ang demand ng product namin sa market. (,"o

  5. Francesca says:

    Paris Hilton -- said this: Life's been too kind to me...I'm just trying to appear like it isn't so I can blend in with the rest of mankind.

    ME: we dont need to be what we are not , JUST to blend with the crowd. Just honest and humble in all aspects,matters.

    But in her position, she cannot afford to do those.

    I pity her.

    I still love my life, i can enjoy inner peace.
    She cannot.

  6. A-Z-3-L says:

    "People fall in love. They fall right back out. It happens all the time"

    additional sa HOPE FLOATS lines...

    :)

  7. BlogusVox says:

    One thing I can say; you're a "hopeless" romantic.

    PAGING "ANGEL" AND LIKES:
    TO ALL SINGLE GALS OUT THERE. HERE'S A GOOD CATCH!!

  8. A-Z-3-L says:

    ayun.. in-advertise ka na Tito Nebz! lolz!

  9. Ken says:

    If the world is full of evil, and hope I am good, forgive me to laugh this out loud sa comment ni Blogusvox:

    Bwahahahaha!!!

    Blogusvox, I will page another group, the likes of Nebz deserves "FAIRIES" the likes of Arwyn, and Arweyn in the LOTR series.

  10. Anonymous says:

    Oh, dear!

    But I'm already taken!

  11. braggito says:

    Salary should never define who you are as a person. As long as you have a self respect, you'll survive. Life can be viewed in the half full - half empty perspective. If you are thankful of what you have, you'll never complain. If Kabayan can only count his blessings, he'll led a very cheerful life until of course his contract expires.

  12. The Pope says:

    I watched Ghosts of the Girlfriends Past last Friday, I enjoyed watching and listening the dry sarcastic sense of humor between Matthew M. and Michael Douglas, but there were so cheesy moments and corny parts.

  13. Sardonyx says:

    ano ba yan napunta lang ako sa japan marami na akong namiss na movies, grabe di ako makarelate sa Hope Floats na yan hehehe, but I love Sandra bullock I should watch that movie

    So friends can color you blue from yellow??? I don't think so, magpagamot ka na Nebz, walang taong blue hehehe si Doraemon lang.....pag naging yellow ka, I assume marami kang mga gold sa katawan kaya ka naninilaw hehehe.....

    hula ko lang.....medyo nalulungkot ka nga kaya pinapagaan mo na lang ang sarili mo sa .....halo-halo hehehe

    nebz salamat uli sa binigay mo ha, di ko malilimutan talaga yan

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits