Helpless kababayans in Jeddah

This news from Arab News, a daily newspaper in Saudi Arabia, has the words sad and bad and sorry written all over it. I honestly don't know what to say about this except perhaps this:

...because I can't carry them on my shoulders, the only thing I can do for now is hope (and pray) that someone (bigger than me) could help them soon.

--- News below ---

150 Filipinos want to go home
Sultan Altamimi | Arab News
Published on 02 September 2009

HELPLESS: Filipino overstayers and runaway workers take rest in a makeshift camp near the Philippine Consulate in Jeddah on Tuesday. (Photo credits: Adnan Mahdali, Arab News)

JEDDAH: Around 150 Filipino overstayers and runaway workers, including pregnant women, are living and sleeping in makeshift tents made from blankets and plastic sheets on the street in front of the Philippine Consulate in Jeddah.

“They are trying to attract the attention of the police and the Passport Department to be deported to their home country,” said a man who lives close to the consulate in the Al-Faisaliah district of Jeddah close to Serafi Mall. The workers have been there for the past few days, and can be seen begging for money from passersby. “This is an unfortunate situation. We are hoping to resolve it in a timely matter,” said a consulate official.

“These are mostly workers who have run away from their previous employers. Some of them arrived on Umrah visas and then overstayed. We are working with the Saudi deportation authorities to send them back to the Philippines,” he added.

“My iqama expired a long time ago,” said a former decorator who was identified by the rest of the workers as their leader. “I ran away from my former employer in Dammam over a dispute regarding holiday entitlements. I had been working for five months and when I asked for my vacation he refused to give it to me so I left Dammam and came here to the consulate,” he added.

Among the people are pregnant women and some small children playing in the afternoon heat. “There are 150 of us right now. We have given the consulate our papers and complaints showing our demands. We need someone to take us home,” said another Filipino.

The caretaker of a nearby building said he was fed up with the Filipinos sitting close to his building. “They sit here in the shade and leave rubbish. I sympathize with them. There are two pregnant women sitting there by the plant and one lady is carrying a child. It wouldn’t bother us as long as they were to clean up. We also give them food at iftar time,” he added.

--- End of news ---

And if I become an OFW all my life, so be it, just so I can promise that none of my family members will suffer a similar fate of being hopeless (and helpless) in Jeddah.

18 Responses

  1. Ruel says:

    This is really a sad story..May our government open its arm to take these people out of Jeddah..Like you, nebz, I can't do anything but hope and pray..

  2. The Pope says:

    I saw this in Kwentong Disyerto at Balitang Middle East at nakalulungkot talaga, I wonder what our diplomatic office are doin on this matter ganun na rin ang mga NGOs at Migrante KSA.

    Our kababayans have suffered so much for being away from home and the harsh conditions sa Middle East. I cannot imagine their agony camping outside the scourging heat of the sun. I pity our fellow OFWs, and I really hate our diplomatic missions and government as well why they cannot provide temporary shelters to our deprived kababayans. God bless the poor and the needy.

  3. Ken says:

    There are so many things that need to be done, there are very few resources, very small network, very limited time.

    My hands had been calloused typing, my eyes had been wearied surfing, my mind been to tired to think, and my body too weak...but I hope I am doing my best, in a small way, in my small sphere of influence to help others.

    I feel so very sad with this news. (despite I am terribly busy the past few days, I still have time to bloghop, though)

  4. tayo talaga ang gumagawa ng desisyon, may mga pagkakataon na minsan sumusubok tayo at minsan nadadapa,pero may mga bagay din tayong dapat isa-alang alang..at yun ay mabuhay ng marangal..kung pagbabasihan ang sitwasyon. mahirap ang makakita ng ganito.di natin kaya at di alam ang dahilan.kung ipaglaban sana may tumulong.

    malaking bakit at paano?

  5. NJ Abad says:

    I feel for our Kababayans. I was at the Philippine Consulate Office in Jeddah last August 13 but they were not there yet at that time.

    Frankly 'commenting' Nebz, I didn't know about this until I read your blog.It's a pity that our government, who is supposed to be the guardian of the people, are not doing things quickly to resolve this issue.

    I really don't know how to help them and like you I only have with me hopes and prayers for a favorable and speedy answer to their cry!

  6. Life Moto says:

    Anu na gagawin ng Government sa mga sinasabi nilang bagong bayani. sana ay ma resolve na ito. nagmumukha kahiyahiya ang pamahalaan natin.

  7. 2ngaw says:

    Magmumukhang kahiya hiya? (Life Moto Comment) , matagal na kahiya hiya ang pamahalaan natin, may panggastos sila para sa marangyang hapunan, gumagastos ng milyon sa paglabas ng bansa ni hindi matulungan ang mga kababayan nating naghihirap sa ibang bansa, o kahit man lang sana para sa mga naghihirap sa Pinas..

  8. A-Z-3-L says:

    tsk..tsk...

    The Government should do something lalo na sa mga babae at sa pregnant filipina na andun...

    Sana... kumilos na sila agad... sana...

    im keeping my fingers crossed!

  9. cmvillanueva says:

    Nakakalungkot naman na balita ito..

    Nasaan na ang aksiyong ng gobyerno dito? Puro sila papogi sa Pinas..grrrrr!!!

  10. Great article, very interesting

  11. livingstain says:

    nakakaawa naman... yung tito ka kakapunta lang nya jan nung Sept two, sana naman hindi sya kasama jan...

    alam mo nakakalungkot isipin na hindi pala puro saya ang tinatamasa ng mga OFW sa ibang bansa, ang laki ng kibahan ng iniisip ng mga tao sa pinas lalo na pag nasa abroad...

    pano ba ako makakatulong...

  12. Anonymous says:

    napanood ko to sa news last night. nakakalungkot na balita. sana nga may gawin na ang kinauukulan upang malutas ang problema.

  13. This is a sad news!

    Si Senator Villar panay ang patalastas dito sa TV sa atin na naghahanap daw siya ng mga OFW na pwede tulungan...Siguro panahon na para tuparin niya ang patalastas niya.

    Anyway I hope our Embassy there should at least provide them with shelter.

  14. Sardonyx says:

    It's so sad to hear this kind of story but we can't help them and yes you are correct through our prayers na lang natin sila matutulungan and the only people who can help them of course our government. Nasa'n na ba sila?? Sana yun pag gastos ni GMA sa pag lipad-lipad ay kahit paano naman liparin ng kahabagan ang gobyerno nya na matustusan ang mga kababayan natin na gustong umuwi. Ambunan naman nila mula sa ginagastos nila sa pag tour nilang yan ay ang mga nangangailangan.....grabe ginagalit nila ako....hehehe

    Nebz, thank you nga pala sa stamps natanggap ko na rin, pwede paki translate yun nakalagay sa card? hehehe....sana stamp ng Saudi ang nilagay mo na rin sa envelope mo hahahaha...humirit pa no??? joke lang.....salamat talaga

  15. Badong says:

    ouch! what a painful sight. Sana may magawa ang gobyerno natin tungkol dito. sana may magawa ako. pero di ko alam kung pano. haay

  16. Francesca says:

    imagine, these OFWs are asking plane tickets to go back home, while sa france, french govt offers plane ticket and cash (1000euros) per person to those willing to be deported !
    ayaw p ng mga pinoy nyn ha!

    i felt the injustice there. Napa smile ako sa comment ni batang henyo, puro na lng papogi sa gobyerno, hahaha

  17. Anonymous says:

    I will not approve on it. I over precise post. Especially the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the unscathed story.

  18. Anonymous says:

    Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits