My scariest five

Happy halloween, everybody!
In keeping with the ghoulish atmosphere that end of October brings, I'm posting here my five scares -- imaginative and real, in existence then and now -- which continuously give me the creeps; whom I wouldn't dare cross paths with; who'd surely give me a coronary if ever I chance upon them.

In villanous character

Etang Discher: For me, she is the ultimate of all the villanous characters on Philippine tv. Her Hispanic, gaunt look bescared my youth and up until now, I remember how I would squint my eye everytime she appeared on tv. The funny thing is, my maternal grandmother (Apong as I called her) looked very much like Etang, and I do love my Apong. I think Etang scared me because I know that everytime she's on a film, she'll do nothing but bad things; and she always did! I'm really afraid of her character even if, just this morning while researching about her, I realized Etang was Panchito's mother!

Photo courtesy: Eman of flickr.com

Runner-up: Buwaya.

Real person

Norberto Manero: When I saw Orapronobis of Lino Brocka, I came to know of Manero, a vigilante, who in 1985 killed Fr. Tullio Favali, an Italian priest, in Tulunan, North Cotabatoan. Manero reportedly ate Fr Favali's brains although the historical data I gathered from GMANews didn't mention any of this. Some say it was a hearsay but that gory scene in Ora Pronobis film scared me big time.

Photo courtesy of asiancorrespondent.com

Runners up: Kris Aquino and Willie Revillame. I fear their tongues.


Ghoulish character

Gollum: He looked like an evil version of my Smurf doll -- emaciated, wide eyed with only six teeths, and hisses when he speaks. I dread staring at him in Lord of the Rings and I also hated his look-alike Dobby in Harry Potter.

Photo courtesy: Music Banter

Runner up: Madame Auring


Aswang/ghost

Lady in white or Babae sa Balete Drive: Not that I've seen one nor do I dream of ever seeing one. Up to now, when I'm on vacation in the Philippines and whenever I go home at night, I dread looking sideways at the vacant lots near our house for fear of seeing a lady in white. I know they aren't true but fears have their own ways of seeing the unseen. By the way, my imagined lady in white used to have a long hair at the back of her head but after seeing The Ring, I now imagine her long hair covering her face. This make-over made me scarier of her.

Photo courtesy: Linsay Silveira at flickr.com

Runner up: Manananggal (again, I haven't seen one and don't wish ever seeing one).

In uniform

Police or the military: I once saw a policeman slap and hit a suspected thief -- a suspected thief! Without proof of the crime, the policeman just wielded his power over the poor guy. From then on, I dread the presence of a policeman or someone in a military uniform. In fact, I dread someone with a gun! I always remember Joey Ayala's song with lyrics that says: Ang balang tingga ay walang alam; kung saan siya nakaturo, duon sya pupunta.

Photo courtesy: chinapost.com

Runner up: Dentist

11 Responses

  1. Makis says:

    I think the scariest of things are misplaced power. But Linda Blair's rotating head still creeps the beejesus out of me! Happy halloween, Nebz!

  2. witsandnuts says:

    What a unique entry! I didn't know Etang. Lol. Googling her now. =) Kris Aquino's tactlessness is amusing and scary. Isa pang scary: mga arabo/araba, mainitin ulo nila. Heehee.

  3. 2ngaw says:

    Hehehe :D Ako di ko pa rin nakita ung kinatatakutan ko eh, kinalabit lang ako kagabi sa room ko, di naman nagpakita :D

  4. The Pope says:

    Yes, when I was a kid, I used to see Etang Discher na laging kontabida, aswang or multo and she delivers the role with gusto. I didn't know that she was Panchito's mom, thans for the info.

    And Gollum, grabeh, my grandson is so afraid of him hahahaha when he saw him in LOTR movies.

    Happy Halloween Nebz.

  5. A-Z-3-L says:

    Etang??? (sorry naman di ko inabot!, really!)

    So talagang si Madame Auring ang runner up kay Gollum? hmmm.. kunsabagay, magkahawig!

    happy halloween Uncle! lolz!

  6. Badong says:

    hindi ko rin kilala si etang (nakakatakot atang makilala ko siya. hehe.

    Norberto Manero. tuwing pinapakita siya sa TV kinikilabutan ako. with matching a la twilight zone background music pa.

  7. Life Moto says:

    Pwede ko ba idagdag sa listahan mo yung matandang babae na madalas din lumalabas sa horror movie, white hair and wla ngipin madalas.

    Share ko lang minsan pag daan ng FX sa may St Paul Qc ay ma sumakay na matandang babae. Pagtingin ko kinilabutan ako cause she is the one that iam talking about. tahimik sya at nakatingin ng deretso akala ko tuloy nasa horror movie ako.

  8. RJ says:

    Huhmn, Norberto Manero or Kumander Bucay! He was given pardon and parole early 2000 (under exPres Erap's administration), haven't heard about him since then! Approximately, mga 18 kms away lang ang layo namin du'n sa lugar kung saan binaril at namatay si Fr. Favali. (Ang government hospital sa bayan ng Tulunan- Fr. Tullio Favali District Hospital ang pangalan.)

    Sa totoo lang, takot na takot din ako sa white lady. Naniniwala kasi akong merong white lady, sa aswang hindi naman ako naniniwala.

  9. BlogusVox says:

    being scared is a remnant of our primal behaviour to kick that intrinsic instinct for survival. while fear is the by-product of the unknown.

    I'm not scared of physical deformities or the supernatural. But I'm afraid of evil that lurks on man. It manifest itself when prod by power or greed.

  10. madjik says:

    Wahaha! Parang mas nakakatakot yung mga runner ups! .. Hmm.. Magkamukha nga si dobby at gollum! LOL

  11. RJ says:

    Ang galing naman ng sinabi ni Mr. Blogusvox! U

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits