For the love of books

Mark Twain: Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.
I love books. I'm perennially enamoured by Isabel Allende, Garcia Gabriel Marquez and Anne Tyler. And yes, the late Rene O Villanueva (you can read his sample work here).

This is my ritual whenever there's a good book to read: I take my dinner early, wash up, pray, prepare my bed, turn off the television, turn on my bedside lamp, lie in bed with a book in my hand. Oh, I also make sure the alarm clock is within my sight because sometimes I become so engrossed with reading that I always over-read -- and by over-read, I mean two to three hours straight, without toilet break.

Heavenly. That's what a good book is for me.

As Mark Twain said: Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. So true.

But it's been months now since I last read a good book. I actually miss it.

Though not as much as Mike Stilkey does. He so much love books that he decided to turn them into art sculptures.



Saw the article from New Yorker. All images were from Mike Stilkey gallery.

I'm a tad late but it's better than never.

The National Book Development Board is celebrating the 13th Philippine Book Development Month this whole of November (in honor of National Artist Nick Joaquin), and they have lots of activities in store for Pinoy book lovers. Please visit NBDB site for more details.

6 Responses

  1. witsandnuts says:

    The last book I read which I wanted to read almost non-stop is The White Tiger. I'm currently finishing "this one" that is making me sleepy.

  2. Badong says:

    I'm a bookworm myself. pero lately, no, for last few MONTHS, hindi pa ako nakakapag-basa ng matinong libro katulad ng dati. daming ginagawa e. btw, love that Mark Twain quote.

  3. medyo di nako nakakbasa ng book ngayon mula ng nauso ang net ayun dun nalang ako nagbabasa.:)

    musta na pards! pakiss nga..ha ha ha.:)

  4. braggito says:

    I had the opportunity to read MELTDOWN by Katrina Vanden Heuvel. It's a good read. It's about the greed and corruption that caused the US financial meltdown. Sana I'll have all the time in the world this coming hajj to catch up on my reading.

  5. Phil says:

    Ooohhh... my bedside lamp is not working anymore and this blog post only reminds me that I really have to buy a new one. I have been missing books and I know they have been missing me... :D

  6. RJ says:

    I have read one of GG Marquez' novels (Love in the Time of...) and its good!

    Sa ngayon si Brida ang binabasa ko, kailangan ko kasi ng mga magagandang mga salita at mga kwento para sa aking 'mind' kaya favourite ko sina Coelho at Mandino.

    Diyan sa sinabi ni Mark Twain, parang sleepy conscience ang wala ako. Huh! Teka, hindi ko nga alam kung anong ibig sabihin ng 'sleepy conscience', mahina talaga ako. Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits