A movie of passion and direction -- and butter

Julie and Julia:
Based on two true stories


Starring:
Meryll Streep as Julia Childs
Amy Adams as Julie Powell

Written and directed by
Nora Ephron

Two lives of two women who, though separated by time and space, are both at loose ends...until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness (and butter!), anything is possible.

I saw Julie and Julia today. I can't line it up as my favorite Meryl Streep movie but what made me so interested about the film is that it talked of (my) two passions: of cooking and blogging.

(Passion in cooking? Okay, I'm not being true about this: I do dream of becoming a Rick Stein and I do sometimes experiment in the kitchen but I don't think I would regard it as passion. Interest, perhaps, but not passion).

(In blogging? I don't know. It's a notch higher than interest, but it's not yet a passion, I think. The fire within is still flickering but I know, one day, it will soon light up into a glow. Or something to that effect).

While watching the film, I realized something: that in order to succeed in life, in whatever endeavour you choose, you need to have passion and direction (and butter!). Passion to keep you moving and direction to get you where you want to be. (And sometimes too, we need to butter ourselves up and others too!).

This mantra of passion and direction applies most aptly in what we are currently busying ourselves in: blogging.

Blogging, for me, is marketing. Whether we recognize this truth or not, whenever we hit that publish button, we are selling ourselves.

I learned from Julie and Julia, and from other blogging lits as well, that there are two ways -- and Julie did these in her blog -- to sell ourselves: Create a niche for our blog. Differentiate it, too.

Amy Adam's Julie was personal in her writing about cooking Julia Child's recipes. My favorite webdesignerwall's approach is personal but his focus is on one thing: tuts (short for tutorials) on and about web graphic design.

I have been trying to create a niche for my blog and my being an OFW and in Saudi should have been my thrust. Sadly, I just couldn't. I tend to talk about a lot of things not associated with being an OFW nor with being in Saudi. Like this post, for example.

Notice this: most successful blogs are those that focus on one thing, and on one thing only. It can be a personal blog, yes, but the focus should be on something.

The Pink Tarha is one Saudi blog which I find to be in focus. They have the vision of what their blog will be about, and as evidenced by their posts, they're doing it very, very well.

The other Saudi blog that I regard highly is Ed's The Sandbox. His Buhay Buhangin series (his comic strips of and about OFWs in Saudi) differentiates his blog from the rest of us.

On passion, there's no one I regard highly than Kenjie. His dedication to bring PEBA into fruition is beyond words. Okay, that accounts to buttering up!

I will highly regard the movie not just because of Meryl Streep's and Amy Adam's acting -- how funny they were of their characters especially Streep -- but mainly because it taught me lessons about my current passion of blogging.

All I'm looking now is a sense of direction.

It's coming.

Soon.

I hope.

4 Responses

  1. witsandnuts says:

    I'm a fan of Buhay Buhangin series. Initially I thought of "being" a food blog alone, and not as randomly as I do right now. To be able to identify a niche is just a bonus for me. I'm more than happy that I blog, just because I found it therapeutic.

  2. Thank you for the kind words, Nebz. We take inspiration from you and all the Kablogs people who have been very supportive since we started our blog. We'd like to think that we're doing good because we love everything about The Pink Tarha - the writing, the eating, the researching, the traveling, and the spending... of time with each other. Again, thank you. :)

  3. PaJAY says:

    ahuh...medyo napaisip ako ah....nice idea...kelangan ko na rin sigurong mag hanap ng Direksyon sa blog ko..hehehe

    nice one..salamat sa post nato...yang movie kasi na yan di ko pinapansin sa free movies online..mukhang ayus naman pala..mapanood nga mamya..hehehe

  4. braggito says:

    I just hope that my friend Toto will have the chance to download this movie! Para naman mapanood ko ito.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits