Till debt parts us

Dig your well before you get thirsty...
Sub-title: I am Colayco's son. (Grins).

As best as I can, I keep myself from borrowing money.

(Although last week, I borrowed money from a friend but returned it to him after three days).

You see, for me, it is never okay to borrow money -- whether from a friend or the bank or worse, a usurper. Before you say I'm too flippant in claiming this, wait till you hear what Shakespeare said: Neither a borrower nor a lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

And PDI (Philippine Daily Inquirer), too.

And finally the Proverbs: The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.

There is only one valid reason why I would agree to a long-term loan: For a business where loan payment will be taken out of the business earnings.

I don't even see the redeeming value of owning a credit card. Safer than cash? Then use a debit card where you incur no charges. For emergencies? Too lame an excuse.

It is my honest opinion that we should all live within -- or even at times, below -- our means. If we liked something and we can't afford it, then don't buy it. Save for it, and once you have the money, buy it.

Most of the things that we claim we need are really unnecessary. Even if we purchased it on sale!

We, OFWs, should budget our expenses and make sure that we save something -- even if it's just $100 per month. Why? Because this is the truth about our remittances: most of it get spent by our families. You're lucky if your wife manages to save a portion of what you send. With the high cost of living in the Philippines, how do you expect your missus to save your remittances -- or at least a portion of it -- (unless, of course, she's also working like you)?

There's also a tendency for OFW parents to pamper their kids with material things. A Sony Playstation or an iMAC can never replace your absence. If you so much love your children, then save money as early as you can and then start a small business back home. What was it that they normally tell us: no one gets rich by being employed! Teach your children, too, about the value of money. That's one important lesson that they'd be forever grateful of you.

I've seen how OFWs can sometimes be unnecessarily extravagant. When buying something, be a Vida Boheme* and ask: Well pumpkins, it comes down to that age-old decision: style... or... substance?

Two nights ago, I purchased a box of pasta. I saw three brands: Goody, Boutoni and Jenan; costing six, six and three riyals, respectively. I read their labels; all of them seemed to have the same ingredients. And so I bought Jenan. It thought Jenan noodles are not as brightly-colored as Goody or Boutoni, but I thought Jenan's taste is similar to costlier brands. And so I thought it was a wise buy. My friends were in debate after that. Someone said the branded noodle is better because it's firmer to the bite, while someone retorted it's not the brand but how you cook it. Using Vida's question, I say: Substance. Jehan is fine with me.

I swear by the following words: Borrowing money (and lending money too) dulls the friendship. Ka Adan, a retired OFW and an officemate once told me: Madaling kitain ang pera, mahirap kitain ang pagkatao. How many OFWs will you pertain those words to? How many OFWs have you lost faith in because they were unable to pay their debts to you? How many of them are your friends?

Okay, I will stop sounding like your mom. To conclude this post, I leave you with two words: Live simply.

Oh, I'll add three more words: Don't borrow. Save.

Will I be committing blasphemy in saying this?: If Jesus saves, mustn't we?

*From the oh-so-gay movie To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

8 Responses

  1. A-Z-3-L says:

    don't worry uncle... i'm living the simplest life in Dubai. i have no credit card. but i have debt... a small amount (coz i sent all my salary at home for my younger sister's tuition fee)...

    but i promised to pay what i borrowed by the end of this month. (and will start to live simply again since it's christmas season na!) hahahahaha!

  2. RJ says:

    This is a very good reminder! Maraming Salamat. U

  3. RJ says:

    Maayos, at very clever niyong napaglaruan ang dalawang kahulugan ng salitang SAVE. Nice!

  4. Keith says:

    Good insight, Nebz. I totally agree with you - people should learn to live within their means. Thankfully here in KSA, mas widely used ang debit card than credit card. Ang hirap kasi to provide credit to people specially when the person is not responsible enough to take care of it.

  5. Anonymous says:

    It is rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

  6. The Pope says:

    This should be read by all OFWs especially Xmas season is already here.

    So many OFWs are impulse buyers and overspending unnecessarily specially during Yuletide season, credit cards easily find their ways in Christmas Bazaars, and mall SALE events. Say NO to loans and credit cards.

    We should be frugal, save our money for more important things in life especially that being an OFW is a temporary career.

  7. witsandnuts says:

    These are wise words. Ganun talaga pag andyan yung means to spend, "nawawala sa sarili" ang tao. That's why it's good to always be self-reminded (or by those who care). Pinakagusto ko yung sinabi mo na better to save immediately para mas maagang makauwi sa Pilipinas.

    Although the temptation is there, I'm trying to be frugal as much as possible as if it's a habit. If I want something, I always check my cashflows muna. Kelangan ipunin muna, before yung outlay. I only use my credit card (which the annual fee is always waived) for purchasing ticket, etc. If there's one thing na pagkakagastusan ko talaga is probably my overseas trip. But is not a priority, pag lang may extra for that.

  8. braggito says:

    I totally agree with you Nebz 101%. We should live within our means. I've seen several Kabayans here, especially those without families who spends their money like there is no tomorrow. They may have ipod, N97 and the latest gadgets but if they never have savings. Hindi naman sa pagmamalaki but I manage my money very well. There was never a time that I asked for a loan from my friends. In the same way, I also do not allow people to borrow from me. Dito kasi sa Saudi, pag pinahiram mo, wala ng saulian. So, it's better to give the money to your kamag anak or kapatid na lang, at least, lokohin man nila ako, kadugo ko lang ang nanloko sa akin.

    And speaking of Pasta, I like Jenan's texture because it's chewy. Kahit na overcook na, al denti pa rin. Aside from that, mas mura!

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits