Are we the blogging platform we keep?

I have this naughty thought: Is Blogger to Friendster as Wordpress is to Facebook? I'm so bereft of morals, ain't I?!
I've a confession...I have a blog account in Wordpress also entitled Isla de Nebz. (Vomit if you want but at least I'm being honest). I haven't updated it since March 2009.

I've another confession to make: Although most of my favorite blogs are 'powered by Blogger', my favorite website is in Wordpress (webdesignerwall).

Last confession: I'm contemplating in transferring my site to Wordpress.

There.

I said it.

My loyalty is now out in the open!

Notice this: Three of the PEBA Top 10 winners are via Wordpress.

In my unpublished post about my predictions for PEBA 2009, I wrote: Let's go Wordpress next time! Why? Because I thought Wordpress is a cool platform and clean and organized.

Plus it has lots of cool gadgets that we can make use of.

Another upside is that it has cool Comments section. Did you notice how, everytime you visit a Wordpress-based blog, you'd automatically find your name, email and website on the comment section? And all you need do is type up your comments? Isn't it gracious?

Those in the Top 100 blogs (by Technocrati standard) use Wordpress i.e. Smashing Magazine, Mashable and Perez Hilton. Only two of the 100 use Blogger: Postsecret and of course, Blogger. More info here.

The downside, based on my experience, is that it loads too slow (perhaps because it contains lots of codes) plus it's difficult to maneuver unlike Blogger where everything is 'pick and drop': Want a widget, click 'Add widget'. That easy.

Don't shoot me. Yet. I'm not that disloyal.

I am not enticing you to transfer loyalty. In fact, you can read Wordpress' other downsides here.

I'm actually just teasing you.

The truth is, I don't have plans to jump ship. But what I plan is to use a Wordpress-based design in the Blogger-based blog. How?

See these cool themes from Deluxe Templates. Some of the coolest templates were originally Wordpress converted for Blogger.

I am, in fact, keen in using one of these cool templates in my blog.

Turn Out Mag
Art Template
Georgia
Article
Watercolor

Enjoy.

I thought Typepad is also cool -- I found out that oh-so-cool-and-inspirational Oh! Joy is using it. But I haven't really fully tried it to make a decent comment about it's usability.

You be the judge.

See for yourself which you think looks better. This same post is published both in Typepad and Wordpress.

19 Responses

  1. 2ngaw says:

    Hehehe :D ang tutuo gumawa na ako ng account sa wordpress dahil ung mga bago kong nakikilala dito sa blogsphere eh puro naka wordpress, pero ayun!delete ko uli, hirap eh, dito muna ako sa blogspot :D

  2. 2ngaw says:

    at thanks sa links, baka magpalit ako ng template pag may nagustuhan ako :)

  3. braggito says:

    Kuya, I tried wordpress din but hanggang first stage lang talaga ako.. kasi may ida download pa yatang software or something.. takot ako sa mga softwares na iyan coz it might damage my laptop.. I don't know really..

    You're right I love commenting on blogs powered by wordpress.. mas maganda talaga siya.

  4. witsandnuts says:

    Well, I am a wordpress baby. Haha!

  5. Phil says:

    I think wordpress is much better than blogger especially in layouts. It's difficult to customize blogger through HTML editing while it's easier at wordpress. My favorite blogs (THE PROFESSIONAL HECKLER and AFFECTIVE TEACHING) are also hosted by wordpress. The only reason why I am with blogger until these days is that it is search engine friendly.

    Blogger or Wordpress? If I would transfer my blog to another host, I would love to have it my own. I hope www.josephilsaraspe.com would be realized soon.

  6. Keith says:

    Nebz, I was hoping you'd make the shift. I have been very contented with the WP format - although my requirements are just basic and don't know much about all the techie stuff.

    I have seen some blogs too using Tumblr and they look good too. You might want to consider it if ever you decide on making that shift.

    Whatever you decide on, I guess what is important is the content of the site and, as far as I am concerned, you don't have a problem in that area... naks!

  7. BlogusVox says:

    I got a confession to make. I got an account in wordpress too. But that's it, just an account.

    But I disagree with Phil. I find it easy to manipulate html code in blogger while it's the other way around in wordpress.

  8. I started with WP with DGB but I have to give it up when I saw that more pinoys are at Blogger so I shifted and never look back, I have limited knowledge when editing html codes pero with the help of reading from other bloggers account, I am able to make my site the way I wanted, and whatever platform one use, it is still the post that matters, the meaning and the importance how one is able to affect its readers ...sah?

  9. Sardonyx says:

    I started in wordpress too maybe 2 years ago before I started in blogspot but for some reasons I can't access my account now. Well, I rather stay here in blogspot wala na kasi akong time mag ayos ng layout ko e hehehe. And besides, it's own by google na mas nakilala kaagad ang "travelog" at hulascoop na blog ko naks naman. Nebz ha nanlilito ka na naman may mga pros and cons ka pa dyan e d naman pala lilipat hehehe. Teka wala bang brainstorming? or turtle diagram sa mga susunod na mg aposts mo? hehehe

  10. Badong says:

    I'm far worse. Meron din akong WP na blog. The last time that I opened it was when I created it. haha

  11. The Pope says:

    I have thought about this before and after weighing the pros and cons between Blogspot and WP, I decided to curve my niche on Blogspot.

    Now I am contemplating on moving to a host domain which I could say my OWN site soon in God's time.

  12. Pinky says:

    Go WordPress!!! :) There. I've said it too. :D

  13. Ako din nag-planong lumipat sa wordpress o typepad pero ewan ko ba di ko pa magawa. Matrabaho din kasi, ita-transfer pa ang mga archives at iba pa.
    Tsaka parang may utang na loob na ako sa blogger sa mahabang panahong tapat na pagseserbisyo, kaya palagay ko e dito muna ako ;)
    But then again, I'm not closing anything baka kasi lumipat din ako...ang gulo ko hehehe

  14. 2ngaw says:

    According to...basta nabalita sa TV Patrol lolzz, Top 6 or 7 ata ang Blogspot sa most visited site at top 9 ang wordpress...di ko sure pero mas angat ang blogspot :D ...syempre top 1 si Uncle Google

  15. ayan, haha lagot, naguluhan na tuloy ang mga fellow bloggers natin...o baka nman dati na silang naguguluhan, ang dami kasing platform na pweding gamitin.

    Lord CM kung number 6 or 7 ang blospot at 9 ang wp sino ang number one??? meron ba?

  16. RJ says:

    Between Typepad at Wordpress, maganda ang resulta ng post niyong ito sa pahina ng Wordpress. o",)

    Huhmn, ako gusto ko rin sanang bihisan ang blog ko pero hindi ko alam paano. Kaya sa mga template nalang na available sa Blogger ang pinagtatiyagaan ko. U

    Ngayon ko lang nakitang may free pala para sa Blogger, yung Khlodian Deluxe Template. Takot lang ako, baka kapag magshift na ako sa Khlodian, hindi na pwedeng bumalik sa dati kong template.

  17. Anonymous says:

    What a great resource!

  18. Noel Ablon says:

    Ako din gumawa na ako ng wordpress dati pero ang kaso ay limited ako sa mga widgets at customization.

    I know Wordpress is much better in terms of user-friendliness but what I really like about Blogger is that it is already integrated with lots of cool features especially Adsense and google search.

    I'll probably shift to Wordpress once magamay ko ang themes nito coz I really like their themes.

    By the way about your new layout, it is SUPER COOL! I really like it. Pwede bang ma-kopya? hehe! Siyempre, baguhin ko yung mga graphics hehe! Maganda ito sa aking baul.

  19. Noel Ablon says:

    Oo nga pala, thanks sa mga new source of power and knowledge.

    And regarding your confession, don't worry it is just between the two of us and the rest of the world.

    Congrats pala sa PEBA Award mo!

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits