Deaths in the family

My mom's eldest sister was buried today. She was 70-something. Her name is Leonara and we fondly called her Auntie Orang.

I wanted to lovingly kid my mother that, being the oldest of her living sisters, she's maybe next but I held my tongue. She's too old to take my humour.

Auntie Orang's death made me re-realize how short life is; how ephemeral everything is.

I dug an old post I made on 13 July 2008 about death and I'm reposting it here.

--13 July 2008 Post--

A first cousin died today due to breast cancer. She was only in her mid-40's. She died poorly and suffering.

This morning when someone texted me about it, I realized that my family members (the maternal part) are dying a slow, long-suffering death.

My maternal grandmother had an injury at the age of 80-something and she was bedridden for more than one year before she succumbed to death. I know for a fact that she suffered.

The eldest of my mother's sisters died of a breast cancer too. Because she was well-off, she managed to last for two years electing to have her two breasts taken off her body. She, too, suffered, I know.

My closest cousin (whom I regard as my sister) had a stroke but managed to recover (although not that well). Her speech was garbled, she walked limply and spent her remaining days joining a religious group. She died poor and suffering, I know.

My other aunt (whom I regard as my second mother) died of cancer. She too suffered because of poverty. I was still fresh out of college that time and was just starting to earn money. Her death made me realize the difficulty of dying poor. I wailed when she died because I was hoping I could give her a decent life that she deserved. She failed to wait for me. What saddened me most is that I failed to give her a decent burial because I lack money. A year after, I went to Saudi. She really should have waited.

This is scary. All the people that I love and care for (especially the women) died in similar manner: long, suffering, painful. I barely know my roots to make me conclude that my family's past is haunting our future.

What was it that my ancestors did that burdens this generation of women in my family? Or was it something that they didn't do?

Or maybe that's how all people die nowadays because of things that we do which we shouldn't; because of things that we should do but we wouldn't.


Here's a welcoming thought: I shouldn't fear pain in death because, as Christians, it's my own family's share of God's sufferings on the cross. This I believe: God waits for us in heaven.

5 Responses

  1. BlogusVox says:

    I don't know Nebz. I look at death in a different perspective. I fear it only if it happens to me and I haven't fullfilled all my obligation and responsibilities to my love ones. Other than that, I welcome it as just a phase of an unavoidable cycle of life.

  2. Nebz says:

    I'm just wondering why my loved ones are dying what seemed to be a painful death. I guess I'm just being profound about my pain.

    (Magpalalim b lalo...).

    Salamat po sa pagdalaw.

  3. nakikiramay ako pards...


    agree ako sa last thoughts!

    "may naghihintay satin sa dulo ng walang hanggan."

  4. Nebz says:

    Ever: Salamat po sa pakikiramay. At sa pagdalaw.

  5. braggito says:

    Hello Nebz! Thanks for dropping by at my blog. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. Let's pray that she's happy wherever she is right now. Take care.

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits