I fear age and you fear what you don't know

Aging comes with perks: you can blah-blah about anything and claim it's from experience. You get respect. People younger than you treat you kindly. But honestly, I hate aging.
Browsing the previous posts I did some seven, eight months ago, I can't help but wonder where am I getting those ideas and the flare (reads 'being thick-faced in writing and publishing them') to come up with ideas out of the blue.

It's not actually out of thin air. Most of them come from actual experiences. Others, inspired by writings of other people. A few, copied from other people's work (and I hope you won't find out which of my posts are plagiarized!).

Today, I'm writing about old age (which, I know, only a few of you, er, us care to mind because you're, er, we're still young, contoured, fresh-looking and at the prime of your, er, our lives).

Well, who am I kidding?

Yesterday, my computer in the office conked out. All of a sudden, it died on me. Because I'm so unlike that guy in my post Learning IT, the first thing that I checked is the power supply. It's not working.

Yesterday, I went to a computer shop and bought a power supply. Lesson learned: check the voltage before paying your money. I needed a 110V-240V, they gave me a 220V-240V power supply.

(Reminder: I have to return the power supply to the store and have it replaced. Today.)

I am really not that familiar in computers but you know that saying about necessity being the mother of invention? What I did was take out the power supply from an unused computer in our office and put it in my CPU. Before I unscrewed my power supply, I labeled all the wires to ensure that I know where to plug those sockets later.

I did it! Proudly I say, I now know how to replace a power supply of a computer. And I now know where each of those dreadful-looking sockets go. It is actually fairly easy and it only takes a few sweat and half hour to know.

Lesson learned: There are things in life that we're so afraid of doing because we think they're hard when in fact, they aren't. The truth is: we only fear because we don't know. Hence, we have to know.

Okay, what has age got to do with it?

While working on my computer, I was using...okay, please don't laugh...a magnifying glass to read the voltage information at the back of my PC. I think my eyes are slowly giving up on me. I dread eyeglasses because, although a pair make me cuter, they also add age to my look. For me, to wear an eyeglass is to admit that I'm really, really getting old. Many years ago, I promised myself: no corrective focals! I'd eat papaya, I'd perform yoga, I will use Eye-Mo but I will not wear eyeglasses!

Today, I realized that I have to. That's life. Sooner or later, our body organs will give up on us and we will need some remedial works.

Too...

I easily forget things. My potbelly is starting to grow again. I sleep lesser and lesser every night. And I'm having this pain in my knee joint (I think it's from eating too much beef and beans).

Haaay....

I'm now listing the remedial works I need so I could start saving money for them. I really feel sore.

11 Responses

  1. The Pope says:

    Until now, napakaraming computer users ang natatakot na buksan man lamang ang case cover ng kanilang CPU unit, they fear that they might damage their pc just the heck of opening it.

    Congratulations, you have just conquered that fear.

    About your problem sa knee, baka mataas nga ang uric acid level mo. But you look young naman sa EB photo ninyo nila Kenji, maybey your demanding job has caused too much strain in your eyes requiring you to have eyeglasses. I admire on how you accept things as they are, it is called realization.

    God bless.

  2. Ruel says:

    I had done similar thing. Before, I was using a desktop in my home and every time it needs trouble shooting I just researched from the internet its remedy and Alas! Take note, I have no IT powers.

    Btw,as we grow old our senses grow old as well. This is the reality. We will not be forever young. We need to accept it.

  3. mightydacz says:

    hi kuya nebs lol musta po i congratz isa ka ng computer technician.oi baka mataas ang uric acid mo beware sa beans and meat specially the innards.if you want you can take some preventive nutritionals like the glucosamine,chondroitin and msm.or the shark cartilage and fish oils.oi im wearing eyeglasses na lol

  4. Niqabi says:

    it just reminded me of "bawal ang beans, bawal ang hipon" commercial sa pinas..hehehe

    ok lang yun kuya nebz...mukha ka pa rin namang young from that avatar.. :) walang halong bola..totoo po from the bottom of my heart.. nga pala i deleted my blog pero i will still be reading isladenebz. regularly. :)

  5. Badong says:

    one of my favorite quotes from Prof. Dumbledore (from Harry Potter): "It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more." Ni-share ko lang kasi dun ko lang na-realize na, ay oo nga.

  6. kalabaw lang ang tumatanda trabahong kalabaw ka kasi..he he he.

    teka nga at may avantageous pala pag ganyan nakakagawa ng kung anek anek...kelan kayo ako?

  7. Your thoughts on aging and computer is very relevant especially to me. i'm still young sine i'm still in my 30s but I already feel some changes in my bodily function. Thank you for reminding me. i need to go work out and eat right!

  8. Den Relojo says:

    People say I look younger than my age. And I hear that quite often that I'm starting to believe it's true. Yet I can't deny to myself that I am getting old. My childish part screams of not wanting to get old. But I know, I can't defy the process.

  9. A-Z-3-L says:

    "we only fear because we don't know. Hence, we have to know." gusto ko yang linya mo na yan kuya!

    and yes, i laughed about the magnifying lens. so pareho na tayong candidate kay Dra. Opto... hahahaha!

    you're getting older... obvious na lahat ng symptoms! old age yan kuya! old age!

    (sorry ngayon lang.. nagpahinga!)

  10. witsandnuts says:

    They say what we don't know won't hurt us. But the truth is we could only be possibly hurt by what we don't know because we're probably not prepared to experience it. That's a realization after flipping some pages of The Black Swan. =) I wrote about my stand on getting old/aging a day before my birthday. But I can also feel my bones are now cracking. Lol.

  11. enjoy says:

    alam mo nebz, ok lang yang salamin. bata o matanda lumalabo ang mata. dito sa SG, as young as 5 yrs old nakasalamin na. at sabi mo nga in a way it'll make you cuter. hehehe. i used to wear glasses and i was only in early 20's then medyo na-correct na lang.

    joint pains? yan ang di na maitatanggi :)

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits