Forty-three years ago

They got married in Sampaloc Church (also known as Our Lady of Loreto Church) on November 27, 1966.
He is Bert; she is Nita.
Both were young when they ventured Manila.
He's from Carles, Iloilo; she's from Anao, Tarlac.
Both came from poor families,
He took some vocational courses in electricity;
She dreamt of being a midwife.
But because they have no means to continue their education,
both ended up working in a cotton factory in Makati.
There they met; there they fell in love.
After a long courtship, they wed in Loreto Church in Sampaloc.
I asked my mom why her gown was 'bitin';
She said: "I was on slippers when the sewer measured me;
She forgot that I'd be wearing high heeled shoes."
It sounds funny now, but I realized how my mother must have been upset
That her gown was 'bitin'.
Yet in her wedding photos, she never showed her desperation.
She was aglow and beaming. So does my father. Handsome in his 60's look.

After two years, they bore me. And then another after a year. And then three more in the years to come. However, only two survived: Elvie and I.
I thought we were well off because we
didn't rent our house in Mandaluyong. We owned it.
Only later did I realize how difficult it was
for them -- although both employed -- to keep both ends meet.

When the factory they were working in transfered operation
in Antipolo; we too went along with the factory.
Three times did we change houses.
I used to wonder why everytime we transfer house,
it was always at night and we leave some of our belongings.
'We'll return for them tomorrow', my father used to say.
I realized later that we transferred house only at night
because we can no longer pay the rent;
and we leave some of our belongings as payment to our debts.

They taught us well.
We called everybody 'tito' and 'tita', and always used 'po' and 'opo'.
We were always bathed cleanly and our clothes, although hands-me-down from relatives,
were always freshly-laundered.
Until high school, my father was the one cutting my hair.
I thought he dreamt of being a barber;
I realized later that although he has money to buy us food,
he really had none to pay for my haircut.

Life's been kind for both of them.
He is double seven now; she seventy-three.
And I'm certain there'll be more years to come to both of them.

From Elvie, Jojo, Jillian, Janine and I: Happy anniversary po!
Oh there's so much to tell about them.
And I'm sure they too have lots of stories to tell too.
I promise when I get home again, I'll listen.

To the two people from whom I owe
everything that I have,
and all that I am, thank you.
You are the reason why I survive this life.

Image Hosting

8 Responses

  1. 2ngaw says:

    Nakakalungkot isipin na may mga anak na nakalimutan na ang kanilang magulang at hindi inisip ang paghihirap nito sa kanila...

    Maswerte ka pre, at may mga magulang kang tulad nila...wag mong kalimutang pahalagahan ang bawat minutong inialay nila sayo para makarating ka sa kung nasan ka man ngayon...

    Happy Anniversary sa kanila pre..

  2. witsandnuts says:

    My mom and fave aunt used to cut my hair until highschool. And I really appreciated it, kase feeling ko may personal touch. =) Happy anniversary kina Tito and Tita! (Heehee, feeling close ako 'no?)

  3. The Pope says:

    Happy 43rd Wedding Anniversary to Tatay Bert and Nanay Nita.

    You and your brother and sisters are so blessed as your parents have brought you into the Christian world full of love, faith and affection.

    God bless you and your family.

  4. Badong says:

    aw! naluha ako dito! Happy 43rd to your lovely parents!

  5. RJ says:

    Maganda ang kwento. Simpleng-simple ang pagkasalaysay pero nailalabas ang tunay na mensahe.

    Sana'y masilip ito nina Tatay Bert and Nanay Nita, patulong sila sa kapatid niyo, o sa mga apo.

    Swerte nilang mayroong anak na tulad niyo, Kuya Nebz!

  6. Happy anniverysary to Nanay and Tatay..nakakatuwa at nakakabagbag puso.Greta tribute indeed for your great parents.

  7. Ze Cabreira says:

    This is a very personal post. Obviously, you are very close with your parents. You are very lucky. I'm happy for you! Nakakaingit ka !

  8. Esoy1216 says:

    Nebz, nakakarelate ako sa kwento, i was so moved. My mother too hailed from Iloilo, Guimbal and Calinog. We used to be 10 and now only 9 (marami pa rin). We had no means for school. My mom cried when I tried my luck in Manila to work as factory worker at age 18 with just few units in college as my credentials. You are blessed Nebz!

Leave a Reply

Seven last works

Get me via email

Receive the Word and 'graphics 540' via email by typing your address here.


Archives

Powered By Blogger

Daily dose 540

The Lord's instructions.
Written. Drawn. Designed.
Mostly in bumper sticker format (540px width).

Visits